Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Balgonie Scotia.1 Burntisland Shipyard. 1

Shipyard forced to settle for draw

Missed chances and a bit of bad luck cost the Shipyard two points as they came from a goal down to draw with Scotia at King George V Park. On a fiery pitch and with a blustery wind blowing, both teams tried to play good football in what was an entertaining match. Manager Billy Whitehead selected the same starting line up as last week with new signing Kieran Marsh taking a place amongst the substitutes.

Scotia had the first attempt of the match in the opening minute when McKay headed over from a corner. In the 9th minute Ferrier had the Shipyard’s first chance when he received a good pass from Russell, beat his marker, only for keeper Eadie to be sharp of his line to block the shot from close range. Two minutes later Ferrier had another chance when he flicked the ball over the defender and eased past the keeper. Although he got his shot away, it lacked the power to beat the defender who got back on the line. The front two combined well again for the Shipyard in the 16th minute when Ferrier flicked the ball onto Russell. The latter’s first time shot was well saved by Eadie at the expense of a corner. In the next minute McCue saw his shot from the corner of the box take a slight deflection, unfortunately for him it struck the bar and bounced clear. The Shipyard continued to dominate as they played up the hill and into the wind. McCue was again involved as he crossed for Russell whose header low to the keeper’s right was well saved as Eadie pushed it round the post. Scotia were claiming a goal in the 35th minute when Martin fumbled a deflected shot, he reacted quickly to grab the ball with some Scotia players claiming it had crossed the line, however, the referee waved play on. Wilson played a ball into the Scotia box and Ferrier made good ground to get onto the ball but, again Eadie was sharp off his line to block the effort with his chest. In the 40th minute Andy Martin was at full stretch to touch a low shot round the post at the expense of a corner. From the resultant corner Scotia took the lead when Greg Spence rose high to bullet his header into the net. Although the goal came against the run of play Scotia had looked dangerous when they did get forward. The Shipyard had the last chance of the first half when McAndrew got to the by-line and crossed to Ferrier whose header was held by Eadie.

Scotia started brightly in the second half and Perrie did well to make space in the box to get a shot away, however, Martin was able to block and the ball was booted clear. A Russell shot was deflected into the keeper’s hand as the Shipyard searched for an equaliser. In the 59th minute the Shipyard created a great chance when Wilson and Ferrier linked well down the left hand side. The ball was crossed to McCue at the back post and with the keeper beaten by the cross he was able to take a touch and fired in a shot that was cleared off the line in what was a fine piece of defending. On the hour mark Perrie had a shot from the edge of the Shipyard box that was just wide. The Shipyard drew level in the 74th minute when McCue crossed to Paul Ferrier at the back post and he headed the ball back across the keeper and into the far corner. The Shipyard almost took the lead in the 79th minute when Eadie failed to deal with a cross and the ball fell to Grieve, but from a tight angle he hit the post. With the Shipyard pushing forward Scotia were becoming dangerous as more space opened up for them and the Shipyard defence had to be alert to break up attacks. In the 85th minute a McCue corner was flicked on by Lamont at the front post and Russell got on the end of it and his first time shot hit the top of the bar and went over. McBride of Scotia found himself in acres of space as he broke into the Shipyard half, when he got closer to goal he shot but saw his effort saved by Martin. In the closing stages both teams were looking for a winner but neither could create another clear cut opening to win the match. After the match Billy Whitehead said “I am disappointed with the result but not the performance. I thought we passed the ball well and played some good stuff despite the difficult pitch. I have been able to add a couple of players to the squad as we approach the hectic midweek schedule, which will help as injuries and suspensions will take their toll”.

Teams: Balgonie Scotia: Eadie; McKay; Sword; Kerr; Spence; McBride; Kinnes; Gourlay; Thomson; Perrie; Docherty. Subs: Lister; Finlay; Dillon; Paterson; Martin.

Burntisland Shipyard: Martin; McAndrew; Brough; Williams; Whyte; Grieve; Wilson (Lamont); Gray (Marsh); Russell; Ferrier; McCue. Unused Sub: Hamilton.

Referee: J. Ross.