Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 0-5 Edinburgh South

Stretched Shipyard suffer heavy defeat.

The Shipyard’s season plunged to a new low on Saturday as they suffered a 5-0 home defeat to Edinburgh South at Recreation Park. There were the usual mitigating circumstances of player unavailability through Injury, suspension and being otherwise engaged. A situation that hopefully eases sooner rather than later as we look get the campaign back on the rails. There was one change to the team that performed so well against University of Stirling last week with Gregg Clarke replacing the suspended Darrell Anthony.

Gregg Clarke narrowly misses the target.

It’s clear to see that confidence is low among the players as they looked nervous in the early stages and the Shippy were punished for their first mistake as Scott Costello’s poor clearance fell straight to William Scott. The burly striker fired the ball home from the edge of the box with six minutes on the clock. There was nothing in the way of goalmouth action until South doubled their lead in the 25th minute. Shipyard conceded a free-kick some 25 yards from goal and although Jordan Cropley’s effort was nothing special it was still good enough to find the net. The Shippy almost got a goal back in the 32nd minute when Shaun Keatings tried his luck from distance and was unfortunate to see his shot crash back off the bar. The loose ball fell kindly for Clarke; however, the youngster could not direct his attempt on target.

Ben Anthony is thwarted by the keeper.

The Shipyard needed a good start to the second half if they were to get back into the match but that proved not to be the case as they were reduced to ten men within three minutes of the resumption. A long kick out from Antal Tompos beat the Shipyard defence and Scott Orrock denied a goalscoring opportunity as he pulled down Sean Jamieson at the edge of the box giving the referee no option but to send him off. The Shipyard were being pinned back now and South also had the benefit of the strengthening wind behind them as they searched for more goals. Their third goal arrived in the 56th minute when a cross from the right hand side was turned into the net by Scott. Two minutes later it was four as David Stewart knocked the ball home following a corner that was laid into his path. The Shippy kept plugging away and Ben Anthony was unlucky to see his shot drift wide. Sam Glancy went even closer as his fine strike came back off the post and bounced clear. South rounded off the scoring in the 85th minute when Jamieson got to a loose ball first a found the back of the net.

After the match manager Dave Costello bemoaned the lack of players available to him when he said “I am missing too many players at the moment to field a settled side, though I hope to see two or three back next week. The performance today was nowhere near as good as last week or what I expect from the boys.”

Next week we travel to face Newburgh Juniors in the first leg of back to back games against them. The match at East Shore Park kicks off at 2.30pm.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; S. Strang (F. Anderson); M. Miller; S. Orrock; J. Wilson; C. Watt; S. Keatings; D. Thomson (J. Anthony); B. Anthony; S. Glancy; G. Clarke (H. Eddouss). Unused Sub: M. Gibb.

Edinburgh South: A. Tompos; D. Stewart (J. Riley); D. Ndiweni; R. Kerr, J. Young. S. Martin; A. Hunter; W. Scott; S. Jamieson; J. Kerr (T. Aitchison); J. Cropley. Unused Sub: S. Collins.

Referee: R. Stewart.