Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard. 0 Eyemouth United. 2

Good performance but no points.

The Shipyard were left wondering how they let the points head south after dominating for long spells of this match against promotion chasing Eyemouth United. Shipyard gave a first start to Dale Robertson and a home debut to Gavin Bridges and both performed well as the home side started well with a strong wind at their backs.

Playing some excellent football, the first good chance came when an excellent passing move involving Grubb and Bell resulted in Robertson crossing low for Ben Anthony but the loan striker saw his effort deflected wide by Paul Tansey in the Eyemouth goal. Ben Anthony thought that he had given his side the lead when he volleyed home from a Lee Henderson corner only for the referee to disallow the goal due to an infringement elsewhere in the box. Tansey continued to keep the Shipyard at bay with saves from a Napier shot and McKay header.  Despite having the majority of possession, the home side proved vulnerable to the counter attack and with their first attack of the match in the 30th minute Eyemouth took the lead. Lough attacked up the right hand side and played the ball inside to Shennan who controlled the ball excellently before driving the ball past Mikey Couser from 16 yards. This rattled the Shipyard and just a few minutes later they could have been further behind when a Windram header crashed off the post after a corner but the ball was cleared safety. Ben Anthony had a half chance to equalise before half time but his front post header went narrowly wide.

The second was more even affair with few chances at either end until Eyemouth forced a couple of free-kicks at the edge of the box but neither effort troubled Couser. Their lead was extended however when a shot from the edge of the box was adjudged to have struck Craig McKay on the arm and Mark Bolton made no mistake from the resultant penalty. Substitute Anesu Tabengwa had a shot flash narrowly wide with 10 minutes to go and that proved to be the last of the scoring chances.

Shipyard Manager Myles Allan speaking after the match said, “ I’m gutted for the players today as they put in a huge effort and played some great football but once again they have come away with nothing. However, we need to stop being in that situation. There’s no points awarded for being unlucky and after just a few games in charge, I’m already getting tired of telling the players that they deserved more out of a game.”

Burntisland Shipyard: Couser; Grubb; Bridges; Innes; McKay; Bell; Robertson; Henderson; Anthony; Napier; Peoples. Subs: Tabengwa; Cunningham; McCrindle.

Referee: M. Gill.