Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard. 0 Fair City. 2

Fair City gained quick revenge for the midweek defeat to the Shipyard with a deserved victory in the League Cup at Recreation Park. The Shipyard made one change to the team from Tuesday with Mark Hamilton free from suspension replacing the injured Neil Johnston, though he was able to take a place on the bench.

After the whirlwind start to Tuesday’s match, this one was a lot quieter with the first chance of note coming after 24 minutes when McCue shot over from the edge of the box. Two minutes later Chalmers was called into action when he touched a shot from R. Blyth round the post for a corner. In 27 minutes Chalmers again had to look lively, turning a shot away for a corner. At the other end a lob from McCue caused a bit of panic in the City defence but, his effort drifted wide of the post. In the 39th minute Robson in the City goal saved a shot from McNeill. One minute later Chalmers again had to push an effort round the post. From the resultant corner Fair City took the lead when the ball was allowed to reach beyond the back post where Jay drilled the ball into the net, although Chalmers did get a hand to it.

Two minutes into the second half the Shipyard were awarded a free-kick outside the box. Muirhead was looking to repeat his fine goal on Tuesday but this time his shot was straight at the keeper. In 58 minutes Muirhead was again involved in the action, this time the shot from the left hand side of the box scrapped passed the far post with Robson beaten. The shipyard were pushing for an equaliser and it should have come in the 76th minute when T. Williams headed wide from 6 yards after a McCue cross. In the 80th minute Henderson blasted over from 18 yards after Fair City failed to clear properly. The Shipyard had a penalty claim turned down when T. Williams appeared to be impeded going for a high ball in the box. In the 84th minute Fair City had a great chance to seal it, with the Shipyard defence looking for offside the City forward allowed the shipyard defence to get back and block his effort. However, City did seal the tie in the 87th minute when sub Gormley hit a spectacular shot from around 30 yards high into the net, which was almost as impressive as his celebration.

For the second week in a row at home, the Shipyard again failed to create many chances and this is causing concern for manager Whitehead as he seeks to add more fire power to his attack.

Teams: Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; Ferguson; Muirhead; T. Williams; Cook(Tasker); Grieve; McCue; Hamilton; McNeill(Couper); J. Williams; Henderson. Unused Subs: Johnston; Drummond; Houston.

Fair City: Robson; P. Blyth; Barnett; Dott; Simpson; Wylie; Jay; Nairn; McKay; R. Blyth; Beattie. Subs: Gormley; Swan; Ewart; Dudek; Birrell.

Referee: D. Campbell.