Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 0 Peebles Rovers 4

Peebles to the four.

Although the 4-0 scoreline flattered Peebles it was still the same old story for the Shipyard of missed chances and sloppy goals conceded as last week’s fine win at Eyemouth soon became a distant memory. Manager Alex Lowe unsurprisingly went with the same starting eleven that did so well on their previous outing.

A Dale Robertson free-kick into the Eyemouth area caused a panic in the visitor’s defence but they managed to clear the danger. Peebles’ Brendan Edwards showed good control at the edge of the box before shooting wide then Jordan Mushet saved well from Chris Flockhart as the visitor’s asserted themselves. From the corner Peebles took the lead as Dale Richardson rose unchallenged to head the ball home. In the 21st minute Kevin Masson cut in from the left but drove his shot wide. At the other end Mushet saved from Edwards as the game ebbed and flowed. Good work from Craig Lowe and Masson created an opportunity for Adam Doig, however, the latter’s cross had too much pace on it for Doigy to be able to put his header on target. Lowe was in the thick of the action again, this time creating a chance for Ewan Henderson but Hendo’s angled shot went wide. The Shipyard were forced into a change when Doig had to be replaced by John Paul McPhail after Doig failed to recover from a head knock after being elbowed in an aerial challenge.

Youngster’s Darrell Anthony and McPhail combined for the Shipyard in the 51st minute but JP’s lob lacked the power to beat Darren Walker in the Rovers goals. Anthony failed to make a good enough connection on a Lowe cross as the hosts started the second half on top and shortly after Henderson headed a Robertson corner wide. The Shippy were dealt a sucker punch as Peebles doubled their lead when Christopher Taylor got on the end of a deep cross at the back post to head past Mushet but from a Shipyard point of view the ball should never have been able to reach the Peebles player in the position that he was in. McPhail hit the bar with an angled drive then fellow sub Pete Bell headed a Masson free-kick over as the Shipyard looked to get back into the match. Peebles struck again in the 84th minute and what a fine strike it was. Substitute Donovan Ndiweni gathered the ball some 30 yards out wide on the right and fired an unstoppable strike over Mushet. Masson blasted over for the Shipyard before Andy MacDonald was stupidly red carded for twice showing dissent towards the referee. From the free-kick he was complaining about Paul Murray knocked home the loose ball after Mushet parried the shot at goal.

Manager Lowe was brief and to the point after the game when he said “No excuses, we were beaten by a stronger, smarter, better organised team. The scoreline flattered Peebles but they did score two superb goals when we were looking the more likely to score. We have a big match against Tynecastle on Wednesday where all round we will need to play better if we are to get anything from the game”.

Burntisland Shipyard: J. Mushet; C. Lowe; B. Couper (E. Anderson); T. Arthur; G. Haywood; A. MacDonald; D. Robertson; D. Anthony (P. Bell); E. Henderson; K. Masson; A. Doig (JP McPhail). Unused Sub: B. Saunders.

Peebles Rovers: D. Walker; K. Munro; D. McAleavy; B. Edwards (D. Ndiweni); D. Richardson; C. McAleavy; C. Taylor; J. Darling; P. Murray; S. Anderson; C. Flockhart (T. Aitchison). Unused Subs: R. Harris; F. Arthur.

Referee: B. Reid.