Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 0 Tynecastle 5

Under strength Shippy not at the races.

It may have been Grand National day but the Shipyard certainly weren’t at the races as they produced an abject defensive display, particularly in the first half, as visitors Tynecastle won at a canter. Yes, it can be argued that the Shippy were missing several players but ultimately, too many of those selected never rose to the challenge. John Martin, Johnny Galloway, Brodie Hamilton, Lee Halpin, Pete Bell, Craig Anderson and Dean Anderson were the ones ruled out. Manager Grant Brough was critical of his team’s performance after the match when he said “Despite missing several key players I’m bitterly disappointed in the performance today. The first half display was the poorest we have been since we took over. We showed a lack of desire and commitment in the first half, resulting in Tynecastle being first to every ball and we looked a shadow of the team we have been over the last few months”. He went on to add “On a positive note the second half was far better with us getting a reaction out of the players at half-time. However, today was one of those days that needs to be quickly forgotten”.

Shippy spurn early opportunity.

The Shipyard made a bright start to the match and should have been ahead early on but despite two or three attempts at goal following a corner that dropped in the six-yard box, the visitors defence managed to scramble the ball away. Tynecastle scored with their first attack when Dean Crabbe was afforded far too much space on the right-hand side of the box and he drilled his effort beyond Ryan Adamson in the Shipyard goals. Tynecastle’s second arrived after Adamson had saved well but unlike at the other end, the defence could not clear and Shane Costello knocked the loose ball home. The Shipyard had a set piece opportunity in the 18th minute but Brian Breen’s strike failed to trouble Tynie keeper Robert Watt. Tynecastle scored their third after 23 minutes and again the Shipyard rear-guard was posted missing as Archie Roue finished with ease. It was four as the game reached the half hour mark when Craig O’Reilly capitalised on a static Shipyard defence and blasted the ball past Adamson. Breen headed over a McAulay corner as the Shippy looked to get a foothold in the match as half-time approached.

Scott Powrie replaced Tom Graham for the start of the second period and in the early stages the Shipyard threatened the Tynecastle goal as Ryan O’Donnell had a shot held and Sean Johnstone failed to get the ball under control as he looked to round the keeper. O’Reilly got his second and Tynecastle’s fifth on 70 minutes when the ball broke to him in the box and he rifled it home from around 12 yards. Substitute Jordan Galloway saw his lob held by Watt and the Shippy youngster was off target with a headed effort from a deep cross to the back post. Sam Glancy fired a shot wide from a Johnstone cross but there was to be no consolation goal for the Shipyard.

The Shipyard travel to Edinburgh on Monday night to face Lothian Thistle HV (kick-off 7.30pm) in a re-arranged league fixture following earlier postponements and are back at Recreation Park on Saturday 21st April as they welcome Peebles Rovers to Burntisland for the teams’ first meeting off the season. Kick off for this one is 2.30pm.


Burntisland Shipyard: R. Adamson, R. Kinnaird (S. Brough), R. O’Donnell, R. Lennie (Jor. Galloway), S. Strang, S. Glancy, R. Brown, C. McAulay, T. Graham (S. Powrie), S. Johnstone, B. Breen.

Tynecastle: R. Watt, L. Grant, G. Page, R. Ferguson, W. Mitchell, A. Roue, D. Crabbe, M. Robinson, C. O’Reilly, R. Mayer, S. Costello. Subs: R. McIntyre, N. Kelly, M. Leslie, R. Mason.

Referee: S. Gill.