Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 1-2 Threave Rovers

Shipyard slump to defeat despite great start.

The Shipyard reverted to type again on Saturday following last week’s fine win by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as the usual frailties came back to haunt them. They had their visitors from the south west on the rack during a dominant opening spell as they played some great football and how the Shipyard only had one goal to show for the way they bossed the game was mystifying. Threave weathered the storm and stunned the hosts with two quick goals at the start of the second half, once more the defending left a lot to be desired, and held on to proceed to the next round. Both teams were frustrated by what they felt was inconsistent decision making from the referee and the Shipyard were the most aggrieved as what looked a good penalty shout just prior to half-time was waved away and a well worked move which was finished expertly by Ross Lennie was inexplicably chalked off as the referee gave offside. Harsh in the extreme! Sam Glancy made a welcome return from Injury as he started his first game of the season and there was a substitute Shipyard debut for loan signing Nathan Harley. Benn Hutchison remained side-lined due to his bout of illness.

Sam Glancy returned to action for the Shippy.

Robbie Crawford saw his shot blocked by Threave keeper Jake Gemmell in the 3rd minute as the Shippy started quickly and they were ahead in the 8th minute as a Jonny Galloway free-kick was headed home by Iain Millar despite valiant attempts to keep the ball out. Crawford went close again in the 11th minute as his snapshot hit the outside of the post. Crawford then saw his bicycle kick attempt drift wide following good build up as at this stage a second goal looked inevitable. Reece Brown then burst into the box and shot across the face of goal when a pass may have been the better option. Threave then came into the match and Shipyard keeper Michael Gibb saw his first real action as he saved from Daniel Thom and Lewis Todd. Rovers were enjoying a good spell and put a couple of decent balls across the face of goal but no one could capitalise on them. Brown switched to the right-hand side and twice outpaced the defence but could not convert as he firstly hit the keeper with a strike and then drove wide. Brown and Crawford were giving the Threave back line no end of trouble but could not create that all important second goal. The Shipyard has a massive penalty shout a minute before half-time as Glancy appeared to be brought down from behind but the referee saw nothing amiss. Ryan O’Donnell cut out a dangerous cross that Gibb gathered as the half drew to a close.

Milzy No5 heads the Shipyard into the lead.

The second period started as dramatically as the first with three goals in the first ten minute, albeit, sadly for the Shippy, a fine Lennie finish was disallowed by a highly controversial offside decision. Threave equalised on 48 minutes when the Shipyard conceded possession and Thom galloped away before finishing in style as he shot past Gibb. Lennie left the field injured after the offside incident and shortly after his team were behind when a free-kick floated into the box was headed home by Liam Patterson at the back post. The game turned into a very scrappy affair after this with both teams growing more and more frustrated at what they thought were poor decisions given against them. Threave were determined to hold onto their lead, though Sandy Strang missed a great chance for the Shippy when he latched onto a Crawford cutback but he missed the target from a good position. Substitute Harley was way off target with a free header following another corner and as the Shippy looked to take the match to extra time a Galloway effort drifted narrowly wide in what turned out to be the last chance of the match.

Reece Brown fires a shot in.

The Shipyard travel to face Ormiston again on Saturday (21/9/2019) as the reverse league fixture takes place in East Lothian, kick-off 2.30pm.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb, C. McQuade, G. Skinner, R. O’Donnell, I. Millar, Jon. Galloway, R. Crawford, R. Lennie (N. Harley), R. Brown, S. Strang, S. Glancy (A. Watt). Unused Subs: Jor. Galloway, G. Dolan, A. Cooper, D. Hunter, R. Connor.

Threave Rovers: J. Gemmell, B. Jaekel, C. Jamieson, L. Patterson, B. Wilson, A. Uphill, L. Todd, J. McMurdo, S. Milligan, D. Thom, K. McKie (S. Handling). Unused Subs: N. Brown, J. Patterson.

Referee: E. Walls.