Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 1 Tweedmouth Rangers 5

Injuries hamper Shippy’s bid for elusive win.

Although the Shipyard suffered another heavy defeat it was one of those days when everything seemed to conspire against them as Tweedmouth came out on top in this basement battle. After an even opening 15 minutes the Shippy were dealt a major blow when after racing from his goal to clear the ball, Marcus Taylor landed awkwardly and could not continue after suffering knee and ankle damage. Outfield sub Kenny Ford replaced the injured keeper who was taken to hospital to have his injury assessed. At this stage it is unclear how long big Marcus will be out for. Just before half-time centre back Marc Black suffered a knee injury and despite treatment at the time and during the break Black had to be replaced within a minute of the restart.

Ford was tested for the first time in the 22nd minute and rose to the challenge as he saved well from Rangers striker Lee Dodd. The same man also went close a few minutes later with a headed effort. The Shippy took the lead in the 43rd minute when a great cross from Ewan Fotheringham was turned into his own net by Rudy McLeod. As has been the case when the Shipyard have taken the lead in matches they failed to hold on to it for long as Tweedmouth broke from deep and Jake Rutherford was on hand to knock the ball home from inside the box. Agonisingly for the shipyard the goal came in the time that was added on for Taylor’s injury.

Shippy have shout for handball.

Shippy have shout for handball.

Daryl Taylor shot wide for the Shippy as did Ross Moore for the visitors and the Shippy’s Sean Doyle headed into the side netting as both teams looked to gain the lead. The Shipyard had a strong claim for a penalty turned down when the Tweedmouth defender appeared to handle Daryl Taylor’s cross (see pic). It was the visitors who got the goal as the game moved into the final twenty minutes when Rutherford smashed an unstoppable shot in off the underside of the bar giving Ford no chance. The Shipyard could not find a way back into the match and seemed to run out of steam as Tweedmouth added another three goals in the final ten minutes. Substitute Luke Dickson bundled the ball home as the Shipyard looked for an offside decision and a minute later Stuart Coyle capitalised on a defensive mistake as he rounded Ford and rolled the ball home. The fifth goal came in the final minute as a speculative long range shot from Jordan Ainslie deceived Ford and found its way into the net.

This Saturday the Shippy make the short trip across the Forth to face Heriot Watt University at Riccarton with the match kicking off at 3pm.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Taylor (K. Ford); G. Grieve; C. Hempseed; M. Black (T. Hall); C. Allison; C. McAleavey; A. Hynd; D. Hyslop; E. Fotheringham; D. Taylor; S. Doyle (D. Butt).

Tweedmouth Rangers: G. Cain; R. McLeod; J. Ainslie; K. Cromarty; K. Ainslie; C. Howard (L. Dickson); J. Rutherford (C. Colquhoun); S. McGregor; L. Dodd (P. Macascal); R. Moore; S. Coyle.

Referee: K. Lindsay.