Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard. 2 Leven United. 5

The Shipyard’s poor early season form continued with a defeat to leven United at Recreation Park, however, it was not until Leven scored from the penalty spot in 74 minutes that the shipyard were beaten. Without the injured players Johnstone, Johnston, Cook and Muirhead plus some more unavailable the squad was down to the bare bones. This gave some of the younger players more playing time and it took Lee Henderson only 5 minutes to make his mark. Whether he meant it or not his cross from the left hand side flew over Leven keeper Seath to give the Shipyard the lead. A minute later Chalmers was called into action and produced a good save. McCue was next to have an effort for the Shipyard but, his free-kick was straight at the keeper. Leven equalised in the 16 minute when a corner was head flicked on at the near post by Mark Brown and it found its way into the net. In 27 minutes a free-kick from Leven was allowed to get through the defence and Chalmers could only parry the ball out to Ian Barrett who knocked the ball in to make it 2 – 1.

The Shipyard made a disastrous start to the second half when an innocuous ball was allowed to bounce twice in the 6 yard box before Steven Brown had the easy task to nod into the net. Chalmers kept the Shipyard in with a shout with another good save in the 51st minute and 2 minutes later the Shipyard made it 3 – 2 with a highly controversial goal. Seath clearing a back pass hit the ball against the inrushing Josh Williams, who had turned his back and the ball appeared to hit his elbow and fly into the net. Much to Leven’s disgust the referee gave the goal. In 59 minutes the Shipyard saw a shot deflected for a fruitless corner. Then twice in a matter of minutes Leven went close with a header and then a shot, both just going wide of the post. In 74 minutes Leven were awarded a penalty when Drummond brought down the Leven attacker in the box. Steven Brown stepped up to fire the ball passed Chalmers. A free-kick from T. Williams was easily held by Seath after 82 minutes, then with almost the last kick of the ball Lee Scott bundled home Leven’s 5th goal after Chalmers blocked another effort.

With a couple of new signings in the pipeline, hopefully the injured players regaining fitness and the midweek fixtures over, manager Billy Whitehead is hoping for fortunes to change soon.

Teams: Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; Tasker (Couper); Drummond; T. Williams; Grieve; Bell; Hamilton; McCue; J. Williams; McNeill (Paul); Henderson. Unused Sub: Houston.

Leven United: Seath; S. Murray; Bilan; Barrett; Lamont; McIntosh; M. Brown; Smith; D. Murray; S. Brown; Rowbotham. Subs: Scott; McLuskie; Young.

Referee: A Spalding.