Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 3-0 Dunipace

Shippy dump Dunipace in dominant performance.

The Shipyard produced a performance that was long overdue as they swept aside promotion chasing Dunipace with relative ease at Recreation Park on Saturday. The main difference from previous matches was that the defence looked solid, giving the whole team the confidence that had been lacking in recent weeks and with that came the desired performance and result. Iain Millar returned from suspension and Robbie Crawford was back in the squad following a long-term injury. There were also home debuts for the Anthony brothers but unfortunately for Darrell it was cut short due to injury with less than ten minutes on the clock.

Dunipace had the first attempt at goal in the 3rd minute with Shippy keeper Michael Gibb able to watch Aiden Stevenson’s looping header clear the crossbar. Millar saw his header from a Sam Glancy corner drift off target with the giant Shipyard defender appealing in vain that he had been manhandled as he met the ball at the back post.  Crawford replaced D. Anthony who hobbled off having picked up a groin injury after nine minutes. It was obviously disappointing for Anthony but it was great to see Crawford returning following his long layoff. Young Crawford almost made a dramatic return four minutes after coming on when he gathered a cross from the left, turned and shot, however, his attempt was straight at keeper David Kane who held comfortably. There was a controversial moment in the 18th minute when B. Anthony got clear of the visitor’s defence in pursuit of a long ball. He was hauled to the ground a yard outside the box as he looked to create a scoring opportunity. The referee chose to show a yellow card for the crude challenge which drew much debate around the ground. Glancy’s free-kick was spilled by Kane and Dale Allan saw his follow up attempt blocked before the danger was cleared. The Shippy were very much on top at this stage and exerting a fair amount of pressure on the Dunipace goals. B. Anthony saw his free-kick clear the bar by a yard or so before the hosts took the lead on 31 minutes. From another fine Glancy set piece delivery Millar rose highest to nod home off the underside of the bar and despite the valiant efforts of the Dunipace defence to clear, the ball was over the line and the goal was given. The visitors might have gotten level a few minutes later but no one could get on the end of a ball driven at pace across the Shipyard box.

Big Milzy nods the Shipyard ahead.

Dunipace had the first attempt in the second half but Morgan Galloway headed wide from a corner. Crawford showed great close control as he weaved his way into the Dunipace box, however, his shot failed to match the quality of his run and Kane saved easily. The Shippy doubled their lead on the hour mark though there was a touch of good fortune about the goal. Another Glancy corner caused panic in the box and despite clearing the ball off the line a couple times Dunipace’s luck deserted them as the ball cannoned off Allan and into the net. The Shippy should have been three ahead after an unbelievable passage of play. B. Anthony broke clear down the right-hand side, took the ball around the advancing Kane and shaped to cross. He then nutmegged the defender on the by-line and beat Kane again. Sandy Strang couldn’t connect with the goal gaping, however, Glancy at the back post did connect but somehow put the ball over from a couple of yards out. Remarkable! In the 73rd minute a third goal duly arrived via the penalty spot. Glancy was involved again as he burst into the box and he was barged off the ball as he shaped to cross. Referee Billy Cooper had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and B. Anthony made it four goals in four appearances though Kane was unlucky as he got a hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out. Galloway was off target again from another Dunipace corner, though to be fair, Gibb was rarely troubled by the shot shy visitors attack. B. Anthony flashed the ball across the face off goal following good work from Allan in what was the last meaningful action of the match.

Ben Anthony’s penalty finds the back of the net.

It was a much-needed win for the Shipyard, a win that sent the young “Shippy Ultras” home happy as they sung their songs leaving the ground. Next week (01/02/2020) sees the Shippy on their travels again as they face Arniston Rangers for the first ever time in a league match at Newbyres Park. Kick-off is at 2.30pm.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb, R. O’Donnell, I. Millar, G. Ross, D. Hunter, S. Strang, D. Allan, R. Lennie, B. Anthony, D. Anthony (R. Crawford) (J. Galloway), S. Glancy. Unused Subs: P. Bell, A. Watt, K. Kwapinski.

Dunipace: D. Kane, J. McMahon, L. Davidson, M. Galloway, J. O’Grady, S. McHaffie, L. Craig, G. Wright, C. Zok (S. Dymock), A. Stevenson, P. Nash (A. McFadden). Unused Subs: K. Stevenson, A. Thomson, C. Martin.

Referee: B. Cooper.