Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard. 3 Kinross. 6

Glendale Plastics League

Burntisland Shipyard. 3 Kinross. 6

The Shipyard lost heavily to a much improved Kinross side at a dark and dreary Recreation Park, the match finishing in near darkness. Manager Billy Whitehead was forced to make one change from Saturdays victory, with Michael Brown returning for the ill Owen McCue.

Kinross had the first chance after 13 minutes with a free kick but, it was hit well over the bar. A minute later the Shipyard had their first chance when Allan headed over from a corner. In 19 minutes some good passing play ended with Brown having a shot which was well saved by Kinross keeper McElroy. From the resultant corner the Shipyard took the lead when the ball was played back to Neil Aitken, he unleashed a terrific right foot shot low into the bottom corner with the keeper helpless. The lead was only to last 3 minutes when after a throw in the Shipyard defence failed to clear and Shaun Carson shot from 10 yards out, Chalmers did get a hand to it but, the shot was too strong for him. the Shipyard regained the lead in the 36th minute when Brian Muirheadconverted a penalty after Johnston was fouled in the box, in what seemed like a goalscoring opportunity. In 39 minutes Lamont had an effort well wide and 3 minutes later the Shipyard should have increased their lead after Bristow rounded the keeper but, defenders got back to block his shot. the Shipyard were made to pay as Kinross equalised on the stroke of half- time when Moody turned in a cross from the right.

5 minutes into the second half disaster struck for the Shipyard when Chalmers in trying to claw away an effort from Kinross sub Robertson, could only push the ball against defender Aitken and the ball crossed the line for an own goal. The Shipyard almost levelled when Ferguson crossed from the right and Johnston hooked  his shot just wide. It was Kinross who increased their lead in controversial circumstances when  a free kick into the box was headed onto Gordon Baillie who headed in from a suspiciously offside position. To make matters worse Kinross scored again after 68 minutes to make it 5-2. When a Kinross player appeared yards offside he was allowed to continue forward and Robertson accepted a pass to score easily. The Shipyard kept at it and Brown went close with a header before we had another fantastic goal. This time it was Stephen Gallacher who unleashed an unstoppable shot from at least 30 yards that gave Chalmers no chance. 3 minutes later in the 76th minute Bristow missed a great chance when he somehow hit the defender on the line from 3 yards out and the ball fell into the keepers hands. In 82 minutes Muirhead had a free kick go narrowly wide. The Shipyard finally got one back in the last minute when Neil Johnston gathered well in the box, controlled the ball and fired home.

All in all it was a fine match, played in good spirit, with both sides playing some good football and scoring a couple of very good goals. Kinross deserved their victory but, the Shipyard felt hard done to with 2 goals coming at a crucial phase in the game from offside positions.

Teams: Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; Morris(Reid); Aitken; Muirhead; Allan; Forrest; Ferguson(O’Hanlon); Brown(Huskie); Johnston; Bristow; Lamont. Unused sub: Hardie.

Kinross: McElroy; G. Naughton; K. Naughton; McLaren; Daeth; Gallacher; Carson; McKena; Moody; G. Baillie; Duncan.Subs: Robertson; Wardlaw; E. Baillie; Inglis; Gray.

Referee: J. Stokoe.