Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 4-3 Tweedmouth Rangers

Shippy do it the hard way again.

Once again, the fans were treated to a thriller at Recreation Park with seven goals, two red cards and a penalty. There was no shortage of entertainment yet again as the Shippy battled back from two goals down to secure their second 4-3 win in a matter of four days. That’s nineteen goals in the opening three matched, however, the Shipyard management will be concerned about the concession of nine of them. There were two changes to the Shippy starting eleven with Shaun Keatings and Ryan Watt returning to replace CJ Thomson and Cammy Lewis.

Tweedmouth were dealt a major blow in the 11th minute when they were reduced to ten men. As Keatings burst onto the loose ball it appeared that Joao Vieira brought the wide man down and with the referee deeming it was a last man challenge, he had no hesitation in showing the defender a red card. From the resultant free kick keeper Danny Fletcher tipped Keatings’ effort over the bar. In the 21st minute Lewis Ross shot over as he stole in at the back post and in the 30th minute Iain Millar also missed the target as he headed wide following a corner. A minute later Scott Costello was called into action to save from Rhys Bloomfield following some slack defending. The Shippy missed the best chance of the game so far as Ryan Watt could not find the target after being teed up by Ben Anthony. Watt saw a header held with Harris Kay also being denied by Fletcher. The visitors stunned the Shippy by forging ahead in the 42nd minute when Craig Bell was allowed to get his shot away from 14yards and it beat Costello finding the bottom corner.

Keatsy had an eventful match to say the least.

The Shippy might have been level shortly after the interval but despite three attempts at goal in a scramble, they couldn’t force the ball home. Recreation Park was stunned in the 62nd minute as ten-man Tweedmouth scored again. In a rapid breakaway Bell was sent through on goal and although Costy got a hand to the ball he couldn’t keep out. The Shipyard got back into the match quickly as Ross Aitchison fouled sub Lewis as he burst into the box, with the referee immediately pointing to the spot. Keatings duly dispatched the kick and sparked a melee as he barged Fletcher as he tried to retrieve the ball and received a yellow card for his troubles. A short while later he committed a rash challenge and the ref showed him another yellow card, quickly followed by a red. The Shippy were level in the 78th minute when Anthony drove the ball home after some good build up. Two goals in as many minutes, the first from Michael Gibb following a corner and the second another driven shot from Anthony seemed to settle the issue, however, there was still another twist to come. An 89th minute Tweedmouth corner was missed by the Shipyard defence and sub Khasim Mdalasini headed in from close range.

A double from Benji took his tally to 4 in three games.

Shipyard manager Lee Richardson, who just returned from holiday during the match said afterwards “We clearly have to work on our defending as we are conceding far too many goals, however, I am obviously pleased with the number of goals we are scoring. They are showing great character in fighting back in these games and that is something to be very happy about.”

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross; D. Thomson (R. MacAulay); H. Milne; I. Millar; H. Kay (K. Hicks); M. Gibb; M. James; B. Anthony; R. Watt (C. Lewis) CJ. Thomson); S. Keatings. Unused Subs: A. Brown; B. Murray; R. O’Donnell.

Tweedmouth Rangers: D. Fletcher; R. Dixon; J. Vieira; E. Smith; C. Temple; C. Bell; M. Robinson; R. Bloomfield; B. Smith; J. Cummings; R. Aitchison. Subs: J. Forster; L. Robertson; E. Robertson; K. Mdalasini; S. Straughan.

Referee: W. McAleese.