Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 4 Eyemouth United 1

Shipyard to the four once more.

The Shipyard scored four goals for the second week in a row at Recreation Park as Eyemouth United were beaten 4-1, though this time it was four different scorers rather than the one man getting them all. Kevin Masson did net again though to keep his hot streak going. The Shipyard team showed one change from last week with Ethan Anderson replacing John Paul McPhail.

Masson almost started where he left off last week as he burst through the visitors defence in the second minute, however, he was thwarted by Adam Mutch in the Eyemouth goals. United took the lead two minutes later when a free-kick was only partially cleared and when the ball was played into the box Alan Jess was on hand to poke the ball beyond the advancing Jordan Mushet. The Shippy were not behind for long as they drew level with a fine goal in the 13th minute. Good play saw the ball fed out wide to Shaun Keatings and he drove forward before crossing the ball to Adam Doig who fired the ball low past Mutch from 12yards. Playing in a midfield role, Blair Smart surged forward and drove the ball just wide from the edge of the box. The Shipyard went ahead in the 26th minute and it was that man Masson again as he controlled the ball in the box before firing it into the net via the inside of the post. Eyemouth had a chance to equalise in the 29th minute but the ball was headed just wide from a corner hit to the back post. It was 3-1 in the 36th minute when Dale Robertson fired in an unstoppable shot from all of 28yards that left Mutch helpless.


Mutch came to his side’s rescue in the first minute of the second half as he did well to block an effort from Keatings. Eyemouth were trying hard to get back into the match and three times in as many minutes Mushet showed his quality as he twice tipped attempts over the bar and he then got down low to hold a driven attempt from inside the area. The Shippy weathered that storm and reasserted themselves in the game again as Mutch saved from Doig and Smart saw his header deflected wide for a corner. The game should have been put out of Eyemouth’s reach in the 75th minute when Masson beat a couple of men as he forced his way into the area and his cross was perfect for Keatings at the back post but with the goal gaping he somehow managed to put the ball over when it looked easier to score. The Shipyard did get a fourth goal in the 86th minute when a Keatings cross to the near post was forced home by substitute Pete Bell, getting a rare goal for himself.

Manager Alex Lowe was happy to get another victory that sees his team climb up the league table and he said after the match “I was very pleased with the 4-1 result today although to be fair to Eyemouth the game was much closer than the scoreline suggests and may have been different if they had converted one of their chances in the first twenty minutes of the second half. A combination of weak finishing and good saves from Jordan kept us in front. We have been working on crossing and finishing in training and there was a definite improvement in this area today. Our passing, particularly from defence was not so good although to be fair to the players the park was very heavy and slippery which did not help. Our goals were all very well taken and it was good to see Doigy on the score sheet after all his tireless work up front over the last few weeks. Dale also scored his first goal this season with a great strike and Keatsy worked hard in midfield and provided some excellent crosses for his strikers. Hopefully we can continue to work hard in training and improve further”.

Burntisland Shipyard: J. Mushet; C. Lowe; T. Arthur; A. MacDonald; E. Anderson (C. Samson); B. Napier; S. Keatings (B. Rogerson); B. Smart; D. Robertson (P. Bell); K. Masson; A .Doig. Unused Subs: JP McPhail & Q. Franklin.

Eyemouth United: A. Mutch; A. Spiers; S. Adamson (J. Watt); G. McInnes; S. Ford; A. Jess; A. Lauder; T. Wyman; K. Iyere (K. Buckley); J. Thomson; S. Williamson. Unused Subs: M. Scott & P. Tillbrook.

Referee: G. MacDonald.