Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard. 4 Kinross. 1

McAndrew strike sparks Shipyard revival

The Shipyard kept their unbeaten run in 2012 going with a 4 – 1 win over Kinross, though it was not until the 43rd minute when Steven McAndrew scored a screamer that they established any control of the proceedings after falling a goal and a man down. Ferrier, McCue and McAndrew all regained starting places after last week with Cook, Wilson and the unavailable Gray dropping out.

The match had been switched to Recreation Park after The Myre was unavailable due to maintenance work and it was the Shipyard who looked to make home advantage count. In the 5th minute Ferrier made a good run down the left but, his cross was not good enough to pick anyone out. A minute later the Shipyard had a great chance to take the lead when McCue delivered a free-kick to the back post, however, Russell could not make the most of the opportunity and headed wide from a good position. Another cross into the box found the head of Dow, but again the effort was off target. In the 14th minute McCue produced a good tackle in his own box to clear the danger as Kinross pressed and delivered a few dangerous corners. On the quarter hour mark Ferrier robbed the defender and bore down on goal, only to not get a clean strike on the ball and the chance was gone. Just after the half hour Kinross created a couple of chances that led to them taking the lead. Firstly, the Kinross forward weaved his way into a shooting position and fired in a fierce shot that Andy Martin tipped over the bar. When the corner was cleared the ball landed at the foot of Struan McLean some 25yards out and he smashed the ball low into the corner of the net for a splendid goal. Russell and Grieve both had efforts at goal before the Shipyard were reduced to ten men. After Hamilton and a Kinross player had tangled in the centre circle the referee let play proceed until the ball went out of play. He then went back and showed Hamilton the red card although surprisingly took no action against the Kinross player. This only inspired the Shipyard, as a minute later they drew level with a brilliant strike from Steven McAndrew. When the ball fell to him at the corner of the box, his first time shot flew into the bottom corner with the keeper well beaten. As half time approached a Brough free-kick from close on thirty yards was too close to the keeper Rushford as he gathered easily.

Having picked up an injury in the first half keeper Rushford did not re-appear and was replaced in goals by G. Lindsay. Kinross almost took the lead again in the 48th minute as another dangerous corner hit the outside of the post and Brough was on hand to block the rebound. In the 51st minute Grieve burst into the Kinross box and the keeper blocked his shot with his legs before the ball was scrambled clear. The Shipyard took the lead in the 64th minute when Bryan Cook scored with his first touch of the ball. Having just replaced Russell, Cook rose unchallenged to bullet McCue’s corner into the net. Two minutes later the 10 men seemed to make the game safe when Paul Ferrier got on the end of a ball that was played across the box and acrobatically hooked the ball into the net to make it 3 – 1. Thackery should have done better with a free header at the back post for Kinross and Paul Ferrier went close with a header from another McCue corner before in the 84th minute he got his second and the Shipyard’s fourth, tapping in from close range after good passing from McCue and Lamont. The result put a smile on manager Billy Whitehead’s face and he said “ After a slow beginning we started getting our passing going and scored some fine goals. We played well in the second half and dominated with ten men and I was particularly pleased with the fourth goal, showing how well and quickly we can pass the ball”.

Teams: Burntisland Shipyard: Martin; McAndrew; Brough; Williams (Lamont); Whyte; Grieve; Hamilton; McCue; Russell (Cook); Dow (Wilson); Ferrier. Unused Sub: Tasker.

Kinross: Rushford; McLean; Thackery; Hodge; I. Wardlaw; D. Wardlaw; Graham; McIntyre; Morris; Brown; C. Lindsay. Subs: Small; Nicholson; Clark; G. Lindsay; Page.

Referee: D. Campbell.