Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 5 Duns 2

Manager gets present he wished for.

For the best part of forty five minutes the Shipyard toiled against a young Duns side at Recreation Park but after Craig Lowe’s equaliser just before half-time, it was one way traffic as the homesters dominated the second half and could or perhaps should have scored a few more. It was certainly a result that had birthday boy Myles Allan smiling at the full time whistle. Ryan Connor was in goal replacing the unavailable Jordan Mushet and Ewan Fotheringham came in for Lee Henderson in the only changes from the starting eleven against Hibs on Wednesday night.

Kevin Masson and Dale Robertson combined well in the second minute but the latter’s cross was headed clear for a fruitless corner. Duns shocked the hosts by taking the lead in the eighth minute when a cross from the left was headed home at the back post by Graham Tait. Connor then held a low drive at his near post as Duns were still on top. Lowe headed over a Gavin Bridges cross and Duns keeper Bruce Connolly held a Brendan Napier free-kick above his head as the Shipyard started to exert a bit of pressure on the Duns rearguard. Just after the half hour mark Sean Robertson blasted over the Shipyard bar from just inside the area then Dale Robertson and Masson both saw efforts for the Shipyard miss the target. The Shipyard then spurned a great chance to draw level when Robertson was brought down in the box by Duns keeper Connolly. However, the keeper redeemed himself by sticking out a leg to block Masson’s poorly stuck kick. The Shipyard did get the goal their play merited when Robertson crossed from the left and Lowe was on hand to guide the ball into the net from around the penalty spot.

The second half was a totally different affair as the Shipyard grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Masson twice went close as the Shipyard looked to get in front and they duly did so with a splendid dead ball effort from Napier in the 48th minute. From around 25 yards he found the corner of the net, in similar fashion to his goal last week against Craigroyston. A quick clearance from Connor saw Robertson pick up the ball and he linked well with Fotheringham but his well hit shot rose just over the bar. The next goal was only delayed for a minute and Masson made up for his penalty miss by showing good close control in the box before basting an unstoppable shot into the corner of the net. In the 57th minute it was 4-1 when Napier converted another penalty award, this time after Lowe was tripped as he dribbled into the box. The home team continued to dominate as firstly Napier saw his strike from a narrow angle held, then Robertson after bursting through the Duns defence saw the effort with the outside of his right foot drift away from goal although Masson got on the end of the loose ball his attempt was blocked. Masson then combined with substitute Stevie Connor and the latter pulled out a good save from Connolly. The ever dangerous Daniel Patenden lobbed just over as Duns had a rare glimpse of the Shipyard goal. Napier seemed keen to get his hat-trick and only a fingertip save denied him after being set up by S. Connor. Masson nodded a Napier corner just wide as the Shipyard looked to add to their total. The ever tenacious Stuart Blake was booked for a foul as he kept the pressure on the visitor’s midfield. Much against the run of play Duns pulled a goal back with eight minutes remaining when Patenden outpaced the Shipyard rearguard and knocked the ball beyond R. Connor. A minute later S. Connor should have restored the Shipyard’s advantage as he poked the ball towards goal but it was cleared away for a corner. Stevie Connor was not to be denied his goal and he finished well when presented with the ball at the angle of the Duns area to make it 5-2 in the 87th minute. Still the Shipyard searched for more goals and Fotheringham saw his shot held and Connolly saved his best till last as he superbly got a hand to Napier’s top corner bound free-kick.

Myles was naturally delighted after the match and said “I’m happy for the players that they did themselves justice in the second half. The first half was a bit flat after the Hibs game during the week. We weren’t working hard enough in possession or out of it. Not enough guys were looking to make themselves available to receive the ball and we sat too deep when Duns had the ball”.
He went on to say “There were no raised voices at half-time but we just told them that they were playing well below their capability and that everything needed to be sharper. We got two early goals in the second half and that seemed to settle everyone down a bit. We created a good number of chances and could have scored even more”.

Teams: Burntisland Shipyard: R. Connor; Bridges; Bell; Clark; McKay; Blake (Crombie); Robertson (S. Connor); Lowe; Masson (Doig); Napier; Fotheringham. Unused Sub: Henderson.

Duns: Connolly; Scott; A. Renton; Dixon; G. Renton; Bouchier; MacGregor; Jackson; Patenden; Tait; Robertson.  Subs: Wilson; K. Renton; Burns.

Referee: J. Bell.