Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Camelon 2-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Late goal denies Shippy a point.

This game looked to be heading for a 1-1 draw until an absolute stunning strike from Camelon’s Euan Baird ensured the points stayed with the home team. You could argue that Baird should have been closed down but let’s not take anything away from his strike because no keeper would have saved it. The Shipyard were returning to action for the first time since December 3rd and they looked a little rusty as their passing was a bit awry. Scott Costello took his place between the sticks returning from suspension and illness but Ben Anthony was only fit enough for the bench and Scott Orrock missed out altogether as they were also suffering from a bug. There was a welcome return to the matchday squad for Craig Watt who has been out for months with a knee injury.

Costy returned after a few weeks on the side lines.

The pitch has passed a morning inspection and although it was heavy in places it was certainly playable and the game kicked off with the sun shining. Costello was tested in the 7th minute; however, he gathered the long range shot comfortably. A few minutes later Shaun Keatings saw a shot blocked by a defender with half hearted appeals for a penalty quickly waved away. A mix up in the Shipyard defence saw an opportunity for Camelon and Costy did well to fingertip the ball away. Jack Wilson saw his free kick go wide and Declan Pierce headed over from a corner as the Shippy grew into the match. The Shipyard conceded a penalty when Liam Bell fouled his man in the box and to rub salt into Bell’s wound, he had to leave the pitch a couple of minutes later as he injured himself in the challenge. He was replaced by Ryan O’Donnell. It was Baird who stepped up and he blasted the ball down the middle to give his side the lead. Wilson struck another free kick that was closer this time and Camelon keeper Darren Dolan has to push the ball round the post at the expense of a corner. A deep ball into the home box seemed to create a bit of hesitation and Keatings was able to get his head to the ball but it was cleared from inside the six yard box. The Shipyard drew level in the 45th minute when a Sam Glancy corner was flicked on by Wilson and Iain Millar powered a header home at the back post.

Big Millzy scored his second of the season.

Manager Dave Costello decided to change things at the break and he brought on Ben Anthony to try and beef up the attack. Benji saw his drive held in the 56th minute and five minutes later he got on the end of a Keatings pass but he could only poke the ball into the side netting. The Shippy were enjoying their best spell of the match and at this stage looked the more likely to score. As the game wore on Camelon got back into the match and as we entered the final ten minutes, they created a couple of good chances and none more so than when the ball hit the underside of the bar and stayed out with Costello also making a brave block. Then came Baird’s wonder strike with three minutes remaining sparking wide scenes of jubilation among the home contingent. The Shippy looked a little deflated as the match restarted and they never created a chance in the final minutes of the match. A point apiece would probably been fair but the Shippy travelled home with nothing to show for their efforts thanks to that late stunner from Baird.

Next Saturday (14/01/2023) we face Coldstream at Recreation Park in a league match with kick off at 2.30pm.

Camelon: D. Dolan; K. Knox; L. Peddie; S. Dolan; S. McInnes; M. Sharp; C. Kelly; L. Paton; J. McAteer; E. Baird; F. McKay. Subs: C. Robertson; C. Cattanach; D. Ross; J. Archibald; B. Nolan; F. Anderson; C. Fawcett.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross; L. Bell (R. O’Donnell); M. James; I. Millar; D. Pierce (B. Anthony); D. Thomson; D. Anthony; J. Wilson; S. Glancy; S. Keatings. Unused Subs: R. Connor; A. Brown; R. Crichton; S. Strang; C. Watt.

Referee: J. Fairley.