Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Dalgety Bay. 5 Burntisland Shipyard. 3 aet (90mins 2-2)

Extra time agony for Shipyard

The Shipyard bowed out of the Fife Cup after an extra-time defeat to Dalgety Bay in a match that could have been wrapped up by half-time, such was the dominance that the Shipyard had. As the match wore on injury and match fitness took its toll on the Shipyard players as Dalgety Bay dominated the extra-time period.

The Shipyard created the first opportunity in the first minute but McCue’s shot was saved by McKinnon in the Bay goals. Chalmers turned an effort round the post and from the resultant corner he saved a free header that was luckily straight at him. The Shipyard took the lead in the 9th minute after a great move that saw Steven McAndrew burst forward, play a one two with McCue and slam his shot into the corner of the net. Unluckily for McAndrew his goal celebrations saw him earn a yellow card. In the 12th minute a Hamilton shot was just over the bar and a few minutes later Grieve went on a fantastic solo run, then produce a great strike that crashed off the underside of the bar, hit the keeper, who then managed to grab the ball. The Shipyard continued to dominate and McAndrew was again forward in attack, this time his left foot shot was held by the keeper. The woodwork again came to Dalgety Bay’s rescue, this time after Leishman hit a ferocious shot from 30 yards. Next to have an effort was J. Williams whose shot after 31 minutes was cleared off the line. The Shipyard were made to pay for the missed chances when Cook conceded a needless penalty in the 35th minute which Hampson coolly converted. Just before half-time McCue got a toe to a Small cross but he could not direct it on target.

The start of the second half was even with both teams having attempts on goal without really going close. That was to change just before the hour mark when Dalgety Bay took the lead when the ball broke to Devine at the edge of the box and his shot found the corner of the net. Dalgety Bay almost scored again but the ball across the face of goal found no takers. The Shipyard continued to create chances with Grieve and Small both having attempts at goal before the Shipyard equalised in the 82nd minute when Neil Johnston latched onto McCue’s free-kick, controlled the ball and picked his spot from 10 yards. In the 88th minute substitute Whyte ran almost the length of the park with the ball but his shot was poor. Then Small had a shot saved before the match went into extra time.

The start of the extra time period saw the Shipyard use up the last of their subs with Leishman, T. Williams and Grieve all having been replaced at some stage due to injury. M.Hamilton was caught in possession in the first minute but the Dalgety Bay effort was poor and Chalmers held it easily.  Both teams were tiring now and it was Dalgety Bay who took a fortuitous lead when a miss-directed cross by Peoples looped over Chalmers into the top corner. The Shipyard hit back in the 103rd minute after a good run from McCue, his pass found Josh Williams who slotted the ball into the net with Dalgety Bay appealing for offside. With Small now injured and having to continue with all the subs being used the Shipyard were under pressure. In the 107th minute Dalgety Bay took the lead again, this time when Gallacher broke a tackle and was clean through on Chalmers. Although Chalmers managed to get a leg to the ball, he could not stop it from going into the net. Dalgety Bay sealed the match 4 minutes from time when the impressive Hampson rose to head home a corner from the left hand side.

After the match a bitterly disappointed Billy Whitehead said “I am absolutely gutted to lose this tie. After being in control for so long and creating so many chances in the first half particularly. Some of the football we played today was superb, with the Bay manager admitting that they could not get a kick of the ball. However, I thought we were a fit team but we were overrun in the extra time period and defensive mistakes cost us dearly”.

Teams: Dalgety Bay: McKinnon; Elliot; Bridges; Anderson; Mason; Devine;  Gallacher;  Porterfield; Peoples; Hampson; Kerrnigan. Subs: Grainger; Stibbards; Affleck; Horn; Cobain.

Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; McAndrew; Grieve(S. Hamilton); T. Williams; Cook; Small; M. Hamilton; Leishman( Whyte)(Duncan); McCue; Johnston; J. Williams. Unused sub: Houston.

Referee: Carrick.