Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Dalkeith Thistle 3-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Controversial Late penalty helps sink Shipyard.

Sometimes in life you don’t get what you deserve and today was one of those days as the Shipyard were denied at least a point by what can only be described as an absolutely appalling decision to award Dalkeith a penalty as the game entered added time. Make no mistake Ryan Adamson clearly won the ball at the edge of his area, however, the referee though otherwise and gave Adamson a second yellow after pointing to the spot. To further rub salt into the wounds the Dalkeith player looked offside in the build up to the incident. If everyone thought that decision was harsh on the Shippy keeper it was nothing compared to his first card as there appeared to be a communication breakdown between the referee and his assistant as to where Adamson should be taking a free-kick from so to resolve the situation he cautioned Adamson for dissent apparently. ¬†Disappointingly, this was the tone throughout the match as the Shipyard players and management were left bewildered at what was happening.

New signing Andy Watt made his debut up front but Ross Lennie and Reece Brown were unavailable as the Shippy made their first ever visit to Kings Park. There was nothing between the teams in the early stages until the Shippy gifted the hosts a goal in the 10th minute when a speculative ball over the top caught out the Shipyard defence and allowed Paul Tansey to lob the ball over the advancing Adamson and into the net. A Watt cutback to the edge of the box found Callum McAulay but the diminutive midfielder blasted high and wide. Adamson held a shot from Blake Wales before Thistle keeper James McQueen saved low at his post from Rab Kinnaird. The Shippy were enjoying a good spell and Watt almost got a debut goal as he got on the end of a Sam Glancy cross but the ball went agonisingly wide of the post. Dean Anderson was next to have an attempt at goal, however, his header from McAulay’s free-kick was wide of the target. Dalkeith were inches away from doubling their lead in the 23rd minute when Michael Hunter’s delightful free-kick from a central position 19 yards out hit the underside of the bar and bounced clear.

Robbie Crawford cut in from the left and fired in a shot that McQueen held five minutes into the second half. The Shippy were level just short of the hour mark through a fantastic finish from Jonny Galloway. From an almost identical position to Hunter’s free-kick attempt Galloway found the net despite the best attempts of McQueen to keep the ball out. Dalkeith responded well to this setback and forced Adamson into two decent saves in as many minutes. Sandy Strang then made a great tackle as the Dalkeith player bore down on goal. The game then swung back towards the Shippy with Watt heading wide from a corner, then a quality delivery from McAulay flashed across the face of the Dalkeith goal. The Shippy then missed the chance of the match with six minutes remaining when Kinnaird knocked the ball over the bar with the goal at his mercy after getting on the end of another McAulay delivery. Tansey drove wide for Dalkeith after the Shippy failed to fully clear a corner as the game looked to be heading for a draw.

The game then exploded in controversy as the match entered added time. A ball down the right-hand side found the Dalkeith player in what appeared to be an offside position, however, play continued and when the cross came in Adamson beat Tansey to the ball but the referee gave a penalty to the hosts and subsequently gave Adamson a second yellow card. Dalkeith were claiming that a goal should have been awarded but the whistle had been blown before the ball was put in the net and the Shipyard players had stopped. Everyone inside Kings Park were astonished at the decision which ultimately gifted the hosts the three points. Kinnaird was withdrawn and replaced by sub keeper Macaulay Jarrett and the first thing the big man had to do was pick Ryan McQueenie’s well placed spot kick out of the net. The Shipyard players were rattled by what had preceded and Dalkeith added a third deep into added time when Connor Glenholmes effort was deflect beyond Jarrett for an own goal.

Dalkeith Thistle: J. McQueen, R. McQueenie, J. Lister (C. Glenholmes), R. Connell, N. Janczyk, B. Wales (D. Muir), D. McGlashan, S. Scott, P. Tansey, S. Murray, M. Hunter (D. Smith). Unused Subs: C. Easton, C. McNeill, C. Glenholmes, J. Grandison.

Burntisland Shipyard: R. Adamson, R. O’Donnell, S. Glancy, S. Strang, D. Anderson, C. McAulay, R. Crawford, Jon. Galloway, A. Watt, R. Kinnaird (M. Jarrett), R. Bernard. Unused Subs: P. Bell, C. Simpson, Jor. Galloway.

Referee: Boiso Allan.