Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Dalkeith Thistle 3-3 Burntisland Shipyard Dalkeith win 6-5 on penalties

Shootout heartache after stirring comeback.

The Shipyard bowed out of this season’s Scottish Cup in the cruellest of fashion as they lost a penalty shoot out to Dalkeith Thistle. A rip roaring cup tie had the crowd enthralled with goals, incident and controversy and over the two games it was no surprise that it took penalties to separate the sides. Dalkeith will now travel to face Clydebank in the next round. The game finished 3-3 at the end of ninety minutes and it was still all square after each team had taken their regulation five kicks, with Iain Millar hitting the post for Shippy and Duncan Muir blasting high and wide for the Jags. In sudden death both scored their first kick before Sandy Strang saw his kick saved by Shea Dowie leaving Matthew Johnston to net the winner. Mark James, Sam Glancy and Craig Watt all returned to the team for this replay.

Jamesy returned to the team after injury.

Shipyard started well with Darrell Anthony seeing his drive tipped over by Dowie and Jack Wilson headed over from a corner. Darren Leslie headed wide in the thirteen minute before he broke the deadlock shortly after when he got in between two Shippy defenders to head into the net. Worse was to follow for Shipyard as Jack Morgan was brought down in the box and Leslie beat Scott Costello from the spot. The Shipyard were now very much up against it and were forced into an early change when Nathan Feeley limped off to be replaced by Ben Anthony. Wilson saw his drive punched clear by Dowie before a major flashpoint in the 41st minute. Shaun Keatings challenged Callum Bielski in the air with the Dalkeith man suffering a nasty cut to the head with it being clear that the contact was accidental, a view backed by the match officials. After a few seconds delay Bielski got up and stamped on Keatings’ foot and pushed him over, right in front of the officials’ eyes, leaving the ref with no option but to send him off once he had been patched up. Keatings was in the thick of the action again as his long range effort hit the top of the bar then B. Anthony had his shot blocked on the stroke of half-time.

Benji came on and scored his 12th of the season.

The hosts created a great chance at the start of the second half but Josh Davidson could not get on the end of the cross delivered from the right-hand side. The Jags were rueing that miss a couple of minutes later as the Shipyard pulled a goal back when Wilson headed home a Keatings cross. The Shipyard contingent were buoyed by this, however, that positivity was short lived when Stephen Woods bundled home from a corner to make it 3-1 and re-establish their two goal lead. With thirteen minutes remaining B. Anthony found the net with a powerful drive to get Shippy right back in it and seconds later it was all square as the ball was knocked in from close range with either Wilson or home defender Johnston getting the final touch. It was one way traffic now with Shippy pinning the Jags back with Wilson seeing his shot deflected. Dowie then kept his side in the cup with two outstanding saves as he firstly denied B. Anthony whose curling shot looked destined for the top corner and then possibly an even better stop to prevent Wilson’s effort finding the net.

Keatsy was involved in first half flashpoint.

In the shootout, B. Anthony, Keatings, Wilson, D. Anthony and Jordan Galloway netted for the Shippy with Millar and Strang missing. Grieg Callaghan, Ross Aitchison, Darren McTernan, Jack Burrows, Scott Walker and Johnston were on target for Dalkeith with Muir the only one to miss.

We are back to league action on Saturday (11/09/2021) with Peebles Rovers visiting Recreation Park. Kick-off is at 2.30pm.

Dalkeith Thistle: S. Dowie; M. Johnston; R. Aitchison; G. Callaghan; S. Woods; J. Burrows; D. Leslie; D. Muir; J. Davidson; J. Morgan; C. Bielski. Subs: J. Grandison; D. McTernan; C. Leslie; R. Weston; S. Walker; K. Giese; J. Mackie; S. Ferguson.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; M. Miller; S. Glancy (S. Strang); M. James (J. Galloway); I. Millar; S. Orrock; S. Keatings; D. Anthony; C. Watt; N. Feeley (B. Anthony); J. Wilson. Unused Subs: JP. McPhail & R. Connor.

Referee: R. Lee.