Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Dunbar United 4-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Same old story as Shippy lose at Dunbar.

The Shipyard bowed out of the Football Nation Cup going down 4-1 to Dunbar United at New Countess Park and once again they only have themselves to blame. Too many free-kicks were given away in dangerous positions, which accounted for two of the hosts goals, with slack defending resulting in the others. This was not a one-sided match by any stretch of the imagination as the Shippy created EIGHT good opportunities alone in the second half but only converted one. In fairness to Dunbar they defended tremendously well, throwing their bodies in front of goal bound efforts and getting back on the line to clear shots when the keeper was beaten. Half-time substitutes Reece Brown and Rab Kinnaird both hit the woodwork in what was ultimately a very frustrating day for the Shipyard. Sam Glancy was unavailable for the match which forced another reshuffle in the Shippy back four with the manager still searching for consistency in selection.

Jonny Galloway, fresh from agreeing to extend his contract, had the first chance when he drove forward but his shot lacked the venom to trouble Dunbar keeper John Johnstone. Dunbar replied with an effort from Darren Handling but his attempt was well off target. Jordan Galloway drove into the hosts box but his cutback could not find a teammate. United took the lead in the 16th minute when Fraser McLaren was unchallenged and he rose to head the ball beyond Ryan Adamson from a free-kick on the right-hand side. McLaren doubled the lead three minutes later when he shook off his marker inside the box and rolled the ball into the corner of the net. Dunbar’s third goal arrived in the 39th minute when a low cross from the bye line found Steven Tait unmarked a few yards out and he had the simple task of knocking the ball over the line. Adamson denied McLaren his hat-trick with a good save on the stroke of half-time.

Reece Brown and Rab Kinnaird were both denied by the woodwork.

The introduction of Brown and Kinnaird almost had an immediate impact as the former hit the outside of the post from a tight angle three minutes after the restart. The Shippy were dominating proceedings now and Kinnaird saw his shot cleared off the line after Brown won the ball. In the 62nd minute both Brown and Robbie Crawford saw goal bound efforts blocked by Dunbar defenders who were getting their bodies in the way of everything. However, there was nothing they could do a couple of minutes later as Jonny Galloway found the net from 16 yards with Crawford providing the pass. A minute later Johnstone saved Brown’s shot as the Shippy looked to get right back in the match. Unfortunately for the Shipyard the game was more or less put out of their reach in the 68th minute when Chris King scored with a sublime free-kick from just outside the area. Most of Dunbar’s attacks were now long balls over the top as the Shippy pushed forward looking for a lifeline and they were unlucky to see another Kinnaird attempt come back off the post. As the game entered the closing stages Handling lobbed over for Dunbar while at the other end Brown again saw his strike blocked, though a goal at this stage would have been a mere consolation.

Dunbar United: J. Johnstone, S. Kean (K. Ingram), S. Tait, C. Gordon, J. Harley, C. Moffat, D. McTernan, D. Handling, F. McLaren, C. King (D. McCraw), D. Ballantyne (L. Peden). Unused Subs: L. McCathie & Z. Szemis.

Burntisland Shipyard: R. Adamson, S. Powrie (C. Simpson), D. Anderson, R. O’Donnell, S. Strang, R. Bernard, Jor. Galloway (R. Kinnaird), Jon. Galloway, R. Crawford, R. Lennie, C. McAulay (R. Brown). Unused Subs: P. Bell & M. Jarrett.

Referee: G. Haynes.