Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Duns 7 Burntisland Shipyard 2

Shipyard simply shocking.

For the first 18 minutes of this match you would have expected the Shipyard to be the team scoring seven goals, however, once the first goal was gifted to Duns the visitors coughed up one shocking goal after another as the team produced one of their poorest performances ever in the East of Scotland League. Manager Raymond Drury was understandably angry after the match when he said “I thought we started the match well today as we got an early goal and created some decent chances, none more so than the penalty that unfortunately the keeper saved. Once we lost the equaliser it just went pear shaped and we became completely disjointed as we conceded soft goals at regular intervals”. He went on to add “In the second half we tried to up the tempo and press high up the pitch but it was more or less a carbon copy of the first half as we continued to lose poor goals”. Raymond went on to say “I am making no excuses for that performance, sure we had a few boys missing and a young inexperienced goalkeeper but no matter who was playing we should never have conceded like we did and under no circumstances will I be tolerating a performance like that again”.

As the manager said after the match it was a depleted squad that travelled to Duns with young Matt Johnston taking the gloves. Pete Bell was suspended for the game and several players including Scott Devaney, Stephen Stark, Graeme Haywood and Ewan Fotheringham were all unavailable. The Shippy went ahead in the 4th minute after Craig Lowe made a good run down the right hand side and squared for Adam Doig who easily converted. Ewan Henderson played Kevin Masson in and his shot was deflected away for a corner. The home side created their first opportunity in the 9th minute but a good block by Andy MacDonald cleared the danger. A minute later the Shipyard were awarded a penalty when Masson was tripped in the box. Masson took the kick himself, however, keeper Sean Robertson pulled off a fine save diving low to his right. Masson was in the thick of the action and spurned another opening when he got his head on the end of a Mark James free-kick but he could not keep his effort under the crossbar. The wheels started to fall off a minute later when Mike Robinson was allowed to drive forward and place an angled shot into the corner of the net to draw his side level. Robinson scored his second seven minutes later when he was allowed a free header at the back post though Johnston maybe should have kept it out. A poor throw in shortly after had the Shippy defence all at sea and Jordan Lauder capitalised on the confusion to make it 3-1. It was soon four as Lauder again benefitted from sloppy defending and easily scored. Johnston pulled off a fine save in the 35th minute before his team got a foothold in the match. James was again the provider as his corner was headed home by Iain Millar.

A Masson shot drifted wide in the 53rd minute but any hope the Shippy had of taking something from the game disappeared shortly after. Kieran Bullen’s free-kick from wide on the right deceived young Johnston and dropped into the net, surely putting the game out of the visitors reach. Lauder completed his hat-trick in the 65th minute when he headed home with no one near him. Masson kept plugging away and his powerful drive just cleared the bar shortly before his team was reduced to 10 men. Ben Couper was needlessly red carded for something he said to the referee and after the game it emerged he left the ref with no option. Robertson saved from Masson as the veteran striker did everything he could to get on the scoresheet but it was Duns who had the last word as a deflected shot left Johnston wrong footed and the ball rolled into the back of the net to make it seven.

The Shipyard are at home to Craigroyston on Saturday 26th March Kick off 2.30pm.

Duns: S. Robertson; M. Weatherburn; L. Walker; J. Ainslie (D. Brydon); G. Windrum; D. Chisholm; K. Bullen (K. Weemes); K. Lee; J. Lauder; M. Robinson (D. Pattendon); L. Strangeways;

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Johnston; G. McCann; I. Millar; A. MacDonald; B. Couper; A. Doig; C. Lowe; M. James; K. Masson; C. Drury; E. Henderson (E. Anderson).

Referee: R. Lee.