Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Easthouses Lily MW 3-3 Burntisland Shipyard

Sloppy Shippy let two point slip.

The Shipyard let two points slip out of their hands as a sloppy second half defensive performance saw them concede three goals in a ten minute spell. All this coming after a dominant first half that had saw them comfortably establish a two goal lead, indeed if it hadn’t been for some contentious offside decisions the Shippy would have been out of sight before the half-time whistle blew. Add in a missed penalty, albeit a very soft award, at the start of the second period then you can get a measure of the visitor’s frustrations. Shipyard players felt that they had a stronger penalty claim turned down when Shaun Keatings was hauled down as he tried to get on the end of a Ben Anthony cross and Anthony himself looked on in anguish as his late strike took a deflection, hit the post and bounced to safety. There was a lot to be positive about especially in an attacking sense but once again lapses at the back proved to be very costly. Scott Costello, CJ Thomson, Mark James and Anthony all returned to the starting eleven following last week’s friendly against Hill of Beath.

Jamesy opened the scoring after 90 seconds.

Shippy got off to the perfect start as they took the lead inside 90 seconds when James placed the ball into the corner of the net following good work from Ryan Watt and Anthony. CJ Thomson’s shot was blocked and Anthony’s low cross was cleared as the visitors dominated. The ball was in the net again as Watt flicked on D Thomson’s cross and James outjumped home keeper Steven Kay to head home, however, the referee apparently gave offside. The Shipyard players were becoming frustrated with the continuous offside decisions, none more so than Anthony who was cautioned for complaining about it. In the 28th minute James played a delightful ball to Keatings who’s cross found Anthony but the strikers lob landed on the top of the net. Shipyard got the second goal their play merited in the 32nd minute when Keatings knocked home Anthony’s cross despite the best efforts of Kay to keep it out. Anthony and Watt had shots blocked in quick succession before Easthouses came into the match as they forced a few corners. Their best chance fell to Darren Leslie but the forward put the ball over from a very good position. On the stroke of half-time Anthony hit a speculative strike from all of forty yards and Kay had to be alert as he got back and tipped the audacious attempt over at the expense of a corner.

Kay came out for the start of the second half but was clearly unwell, therefore, he was replaced by Daniel Simpson between the sticks and Shipyard replaced D Thomson with Sandy Strang.

Simpson’s first task was to face a penalty as Lily were harshly penalised for a challenge on CJ Thomson close to the goal line. The normally proficient Keatings blazed the kick high over the bar and you could sense that the hosts got a lift from this. In the 51st minute Strang just failed to get on the end of an Anthony pass before Easthouses came storming back into the match. Lily took a quick throw on the righthand side that caught Shippy napping and when the cross came in Shaun Hill netted from close range. The hosts were level in the 62nd minute when Leslie’s looping header found the net. Shipyard were rattled now as Easthouses swarmed all over them and it was no surprise when Lily took the lead in the 68th minute when substitute Connor Dyet stole in at the back post to net. Shippy regained their composure and went searching for an equaliser and it might have come from the penalty spot, however, the referee did not react to the defender’s tug on Keatings as he went to get on the end of an Anthony pass. It was all square with ten minutes remaining as Strang headed a Keatings free kick over the stranded keeper and into the net. Anthony went agonisingly close in the 84th minute when his shot took a slight deflection leaving Simpson helpless but the ball hit the inside of the post and bounced to safety. In added time CJ Thomson head flicked the ball on to Anthony, however, Benji dithered and was closed down. Costello had to be on his toes as a free kick driven towards goal was creeping in at the post until the big keeper got down to save. Costy picked up a nasty knee injury in the closing stages after he collided with the Easthouses player who was bearing down on goal; however, he was able to continue after treatment.

Costy took a blow to the knee late on.

Next week we are on the road again as we make the long trip to the borders to face Coldstream at Home Park. Kick-off is at 2.30pm. We are running a bus which will leave Dollar Road at 11.15am. Some seats are still available and can be booked by contacting the Club through its social media platforms.

Easthouses Lily: S. Kay; L. Smith; L. Watson; R. McQueenie; T. Rogan; R. Kearney; D. Leslie (D. Simpson); N. Janczyk; J. Burrows; S. Hill; S. Barrie. Subs: L. Sives; P. McDermott; A. Anderson; C. McBeth; C. Dyet; R. Wyllie.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross; M. Robertson; M. Gibb; I. Millar; CJ. Thomson; D. Thomson (S. Strang); M. James; B. Anthony; S. Keatings; R. Watt (B. Murray). Unused Subs: B. Dickson; H. Kay; E. Bauld.

Referee: D. Gallacher.