Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Edinburgh City 1 Burntisland Shipyard 1

Honours even at Meadowbank

The Shipyard returned from their visit to Meadowbank Stadium with a fully merited point after a fine strike in the 36th minute from Steven McAndrew levelled the scores. The Shipyard had fallen behind early on after a rare mistake from Andy Martin but showed great character and determination to get back into the match and had it not been for the woodwork and a fine double save from Danny MacKenzie they might well have won it. Craig Hatton returned to the starting line-up in place of the injured Graeme Neish.

City took the lead after only five minutes when Andy Martin came to the edge of his box to gather a through ball. He seemed to lose his bearings as he hesitated before poorly clearing the ball straight to Daryl Devlin, who took a touch before lobbing the ball into the empty net. In the 12th minute the Shipyard went close when Liall Robertson drove in a shot from 20yards that crashed back off the post. Stenhouse shot narrowly wide for City a minute later and back at the other end Robertson found Hatton in the box and he managed to turn but could only poke his shot straight at the keeper. Stenhouse was giving the Shipyard defence plenty to think about and he showed great skill in flicking the ball over Whyte before firing his shot wide. Lamont fired in a free-kick for the Shipyard that MacKenzie could only parry, unfortunately for the Shipyard the rebound was hit high over the bar. The Shipyard equalised with a fine goal in the 36th minute when Jammy Whyte fired in a deep cross to the back post and Steven McAndrew controlled the ball before firing his shot across the keeper and into the corner from a tight angle. City should have regained the lead when they broke down the right-hand side only for the cross to be blasted over the bar by Gair.

City were on top in the early stages of the second half which saw Vanson and Guthrie go close, with Martin pulling off a fine save from the latter. The pressure continued as a free-kick was headed wide and Martin had to deal with high balls into the box whilst under pressure. At the other end a McAndrew shot from the edge of the area was pushed away for a corner. Martin had to save low down to his right as both teams looked to get a winner. The Shipyard thought that winner had arrived when with five minutes to go Robertson found himself free in the box but MacKenzie pulled off a great save from his fierce strike, MacKenzie then recovered quickly to then block the follow-up shot. The play then raced to the other end and City almost got the winner when Martin could only watch as the ball was lobbed over him, however, the ball hit the post and fell kindly into his hands. City were going all out for a late winner and it almost came with the last action of the match when a corner was headed just wide.

Manager Billy Whitehead said after the match “We made one mistake and were punished for it. I thought we passed the ball well tonight and scored a good goal. Things are starting to take shape and I am looking forward to having a full squad to pick from when Hammy, Smally, Cal and Maz are available again”.

Teams: Edinburgh City: MacKenzie; Walker; Ross; Dingwall; Bain; Vanson; Devlin; Gair; Stenhouse; Guthrie; Clapperton. Subs: Elliot; Torrance; Domingo; McLean; MacNamara.

Burntisland Shipyard: Martin; Brown; Brough; Gray; Whyte; Robertson (Johnston); Lamont; Hatton; Wilson (Dow); Grieve (McCue). Unused Subs: Cook; Melia

Referee: B. Colvin.