Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Edinburgh City. 5 Burntisland Shipyard. 0

Second half blitz destroys Shipyard

Ten man Shipyard were sunk as City scored five second half goals to cruise through to the second round of the South of Scotland Cup. Though the Shipyard matched their opponents throughout the first half, a goal after 55 minutes and the sending off of captain Mark Hamilton shortly after, made things a whole lot easier for City. The Shipyard were without the injured Craig Hatton, Liall Robertson and Blair Grubb whilst Michael Brown was still suspended.

Graeme Neish saw an early shot go over the bar and City´s Scott Capperton was starting to dominate the play in midfield. Mark Brough suffered a head knock in the 10th minute but after treatment he was able to continue. Neish then saw a shot tipped over by City keeper Scobie for a corner. Brough then had to produce a last ditch tackle to prevent Douglas Gair from scoring. Stuart Gray cleared off the line from Hunter as City searched for an opener. In the 21st minute Gair shot over before a Brough corner for the Shipyard had to be punched clear. Devlon hit the side netting after being set up by Hunter. Deep in to added time Martyn Melia saved well fron Gair as City pushed but the shipyard defence was resolute and held out until half-time.

City started the second half well and James Whyte was on hand to clear an effort off the line. The game changed dramatically in the 55th minute when a Gair shot from sixteen yards just beat Melia´s outstretched hand to find the net and give City the lead. Within a minute they had a man advantage also as Mark Hamilton was ordered off for what the referee deemed a dangerous tackle. Gair for his part in the incident was only yellow carded though he raised his hands. City then went on to make great use of their extra man as Howat saw his deflected cross beat Melia for a second goal. Hunter took a pass from Clapperton and made ot 3-0. In the 74th minute it was 4-0 when Dingwall dribbled forward and powered a shot into the net. Vanson made it 5-0 in the final minute when he knocked home the rebound after Melia saved his initial shot.

Manager Billy Whitehead said ” I thought  the boys matched a very good team for 55 minutes but once we were down to ten men it was always going to be tough and credit to City they stuck to their task and scored more goals.”

Teams: Edinburgh City : Scobie; Dingwall; Scott; Harrison; McLean; Clapperton; Howat (Vanson); Gair (Torrance); Hunter (Stenhouse); Guthrie; Devlon. Unused Subs: MacNamara; McIntosh.

Burntisland Shipyard: Melia; Grieve (Bissett); Brough; Gray; Whyte; Small (Dow), Hamilton; Lamont; Neish; Rutherford; Wilson. Unused Subs: Houston; Cook.

Referee: D. Doig.