Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Edinburgh United 1-2 Burntisland Shipyard

Shippy record welcome victory.

The Shipyard secured a welcome three points against Edinburgh United at Paties Road on Saturday. It could and should have been more comfortable than the 2-1 scoreline suggests, however, it was mission accomplished and job done. The persistent injury problems that have beset the club this season continued as Mikey Couser dropped out having broken his thumb in training and Sam Glancy wasn’t available as he nursed a minor niggle. With Scott Costello still missing thanks to a back injury an emergency keeper had to be signed and Cole Miller joined the club on Friday after a spell with East Fife U/20’s. Young Cole acquitted himself very well and was unfortunate not to keep a clean sheet as his defence failed to clear a loose ball following him pulling off a great save allowing United to claw a goal back. The pitch had recovered remarkably well following midweek postponements and despite the wet and windy conditions it was game on.

Cole Miller. Picture courtesy of East Fife FC

The Shippy got off to a great start as they took the lead in the 6th minute. A Harris Kay corner to the front post area was powerfully headed home by Mikey Gibb for his third goal of the season. Jack Adams drove over from the edge of the box in the 16th minute as the hosts looked to get back into the match. It was the Shipyard though who scored the next goal as Kris Murphy netted from six yards out after Dan Thomson set him up following a good driving run and cross. The Shippy continued to look dangerous with Gibb’s pace and Murphy’s power troubling the United rear-guard. The hosts were then dealt a blow shortly before the interval as they were reduced to ten men when Adams was shown the red card for foul and abusive language towards the referee.

Being a man down didn’t trouble Edinburgh United too much as they started the second half on the front foot and Ethan Bauld did well to block a goal bound effort. United pulled a goal back on the hour mark and it was harsh on Miller who did extremely well top tip an attempt on to the bar, however, the Shippy defence did not react quickly enough and the ball was stabbed home. Despite this setback the Shipyard were able to keep United at arm’s length as Kearyn Hicks marshalled the defence expertly and indeed it was the visitors who looked more likely to score as the match entered the closing stages. Mark James saw his powerful drive pushed round the post for a corner and Murphy headed into the keeper’s arms. The last action saw Thomson power forward and his pass found Gibb whose shot from 18 yards went narrowly wide. Manager Lee Richardson was pleased with the outcome when he said “I’m happy to get the win, which I believe we deserved. We were stretched a bit again today but once again nobody let me down. I thought Cole did extremely well for a sixteen-year-old goalkeeper making his debut.”

Dalkeith Thistle are scheduled to visit Recreation Park on Wednesday night (17/04/2024) for a rearranged league match which kicks off at 7.30pm. On Saturday (20/04/2024) we travel to The Oriam to face Edinburgh College with the kick off at 3.00pm.

Edinburgh United: F. Taylor; D. Paterson; J. Keenan; C. Young; D. Waugh; J. Egan; L. Cameron; K. Richmond; J. Adams; Praise Orji; E. Donaldson. Subs: C. Barlas; L. Marshall; O. Wayne; N. Drummond; H. McKintosh; A. Mason.

Burntisland Shipyard: C. Miller; D. Turner; M. Robertson; E. Bauld; K. Hicks; H. Kay; K. Beard (M. Moodie); M. James; K. Murphy; M. Gibb; D. Thomson (E. McQuade).

Referee: A. Brown.