Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Eyemouth United 3 Burntisland Shipyard 2

Shippy shoot themselves in the foot again.

Shipyard manager Grant Brough was honest in his summing up of the match at Eyemouth, indicating he was not too surprised that his team lost when he said “I just can’t believe we lost that game today, or on the other hand I suppose I can, as yet again we have been our own worst enemy”. Whether his comments were tongue in cheek is open to question but he was correct about one thing. His team are finding ways of losing games they should be winning or at least taking something from. He went on “In a game where we knocked the ball about and created some excellent opportunities we shot ourselves in the foot giving away stupid goals yet again. Basic mistakes have again cost us today. The positives for me were that the boys never gave up, could and should have got back into the game had it not been for poor finishing. Also, the introduction of Jonny Galloway, Craig Watt and Kieran Annandale into the squad from the U/20s has been very refreshing, with Galloway outstanding in midfield, scoring a goal and coming away with the Man of the Match award”. Looking ahead to next week’s Football Nation Cup match he said “We have just got to dust ourselves down and prepare for the visit of Lowland League side Selkirk next Saturday by working hard at training this week”.

Brough recalled Cammy Lambie to the starting line up replacing Sean Malpas between the sticks and brought in the afore mentioned U/20’s to the squad having decided to leave them out last week due to their SFA youth Cup commitments. Sam Glancy also returned having served his suspension.

Eyemouth were on top in the early stages with their direct approach causing the Shippy defence problems in the blustery conditions. Kevin Strachan skewed a shot wide before Andrew Patterson rattled the outside of the post with a speculative shot from out wide. Tam Graham should have done better for the visitors when his first time shot from Brodie Hamilton’s pinpoint cross sailed over the bar. Eyemouth then went close through Strachan but he was denied by a fine save from Lambie. Home keeper Mark Walters then had a moment to forget as he raced from his area and missed his attempted headed clearance, however, the Shippy’s Hamilton was slow to react and the Eyemouth defence were able to mop up the danger. The Shipyard passed up another opportunity when Rab Kinnaird headed over a Brian Breen cross. Lambie then had to be watchful as Strachan’s effort looped towards goal and he tipped the ball over the bar at the expense of a corner. Graham drove wide from the edge of the box and a great ball into the box from Breen should have been put away as the Shippy enjoyed a spell of pressure. Eyemouth then took the lead slightly against the run of play. With the Shipyard appealing for a throw-in Eyemouth played on and Jamie Logie flicked a cross home from the middle of the box. Central defender Craig Anderson saw a shot deflected wide before his defensive partner Sandy Strang had to limp off due to a nasty foot injury picked up after a late challenge and he was replaced by Pete Bell.

Manager Brough was left frustrated.

The Shipyard made another change, this time tactical, at the start of the second half as Scott Powrie replaced Graham. The Shipyard then had a huge let off in the 48th minute when referee McLean did not award a goal to the home team when the ball looked clearly over the line. This setback did not deter the hosts and again poor defending gave Eyemouth an opening and John Crawford was on hand to knock the ball home to give his team a 2-0 lead. As Brough had said about his players, they never gave up and Breen went close as he got on the end of Callum McAulay’s corner, however, within a minute the Shipyard shot themselves in the foot again as they conceded a shocking third goal. After hesitation and a slip in the Shippy defence Lambie had to come out of his area but his attempted clearance hit the Eyemouth player and it presented Crawford with the simple task of rolling the ball into the unguarded net. The Shipyard pressed again and after a scramble in the box the ball was crossed back in and Walters tipped Kinnaird’s header over the bar. Powrie then drove straight at the keeper before the pressure paid off and the Shippy got back into the match as young Galloway gathered the ball, drove forward and calmly finished as Walters came out to narrow the angle. At the other end Crawford chipped over as the game raged from end to end. Powrie drove wide and Galloway was denied by Walters as the Shipyard became more dominant as the clock ticked down, though Eyemouth were dangerous on the counterattack as Dean Anderson cleared off the line from Logie. Kinnaird saw his shot cleared and as the game moved into added time the Shipyard scored again through Hamilton with a neat finish from inside the six-yard box. Play continued for another couple of minutes and although the Shipyard pinned Eyemouth back in their own area they could not create a clear-cut chance to find an equaliser.

The Shipyard are at home this Saturday (11/11/2017) when Selkirk visit Recreation Park for a Football Nation Cup 1st Round tie. Kick-off is 1.30pm.

Eyemouth United: M. Walters, D. Blackie, A. Mutch, A. Spiers, E. Wilson, S. Adamson, A. Patterson, A. Lauder, J. Crawford, J. Logie, K. Strachan. Subs: A. Sword, R. Green, W. Giacopazzi.

Burntisland Shipyard: C. Lambie, R. Kinnaird, B. Breen, D. Anderson, C. Anderson, S. Strang (P. Bell) J. Galloway, C. McAulay, B. Hamilton, T. Graham (S. Powrie) S. Glancy (C. Watt). Unused Subs: S. Malpas, K. Annandale, O. Ferry, K. Ford.

Referee: S. McLean.



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.