Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Eyemouth United. 8 Burntisland Shipyard. 0

Shipyard on the end of harsh result.

The Shipyard lost heavily again at Eyemouth, though after thirty five minutes there was little between the teams as the Shipyard played the better football. However, once Eyemouth controversially took the lead they went onto dominate the game, though the eight goal margin was extremely harsh on the visitors. Manager Allan’s plans were upset when Stephen Connor called off late in the day. Ben Anthony, Anesu Tabengwa and Lee Henderson all made their debuts.

Both teams were keen to attack and the Shipyard’s Craig McKay was involved at both ends in the early stages as he firstly made a timely challenge in his own box, and then saw his header from a corner held by the Eyemouth keeper Adam Mutch at the other. Eyemouth forced a couple of corners before Stuart Innes was yellow carded for a foul which would prove costly later on. Tabengwa saw his angled shot turned away for a corner as the Shipyard had a sustained period of pressure. Nicky Clark went close for Eyemouth before the Shipyard almost took the lead. A Brendan Napier free-kick was only parried by Mutch but he was up quickly to block Tabengwa’s follow up at the cost of a corner. Melia in the Shipyard goal spread himself to block from left back Leigh Walker and at the other end Anthony shot wide from a good position. Eyemouth took the lead in the 36th minute when the ball was played into the box from the right hand side. Although Melia got a hand to the cross Sean Phillips was on hand to knock the ball into the net, though he looked to be clearly offside. A couple of minutes later Innes got his head onto a Shipyard corner but a defender cleared the danger on the post. Eyemouth scored a second in the 40th minute when the visitors lost possession in their own half and when the ball was crossed in Phillips was on hand to nod in his and United’s second.

Eyemouth came out of the blocks quickly at the start of the second half and put the Shipyard defence under extreme pressure. Mark Bolton and Connor Lough both went close before Phillips completed his hat-trick when he shot home at the back post. Any chance the Shipyard had of getting back into the match disappeared in the 63rd minute when the referee saw an infringement in the box, though not many others did. His decision to award a penalty also resulted in Innes receiving his second yellow card and was ordered off. A bit of justice was done when Melia easily saved Alan Jess’ spot kick. Eyemouth went onto dominate the closing stages and scored at will as substitute Steven Shennon helped himself to a hat-trick and further goals came from James Wilson and fellow sub Scott Adamson. Lee Small did hit the bar from the Shipyard after Tabengwa had helped the ball onto him but Eyemouth maintained their clean sheet as the ball was cleared off the line.

Manager Myles Allan did not mince his words after the match and said “The second half performance, if we’re honest, was an embarrassment. It was a bit unexpected too as I felt that the first half performance was decent and we were unlucky to be behind at the break.
But what happened in the second half is absolutely unacceptable. Regardless of the fact that we were down to 10 men, as a team we didn’t do any of the basics. The players stopped working off the ball and just made everything so much more difficult for each other. There are a lot of players who have little or no experience of East of Scotland football but have played at a good level of Junior football. If anyone was under the illusion that this would be easy, they’ve had a rude awakening today. However, that said, there are still good players here and it is up to them to react in the correct way. They can feel sorry for themselves or dust themselves down and work to make up for today”.

Teams: Eyemouth United: Mutch; Sherry; Walker (Wales); Spiers; Brown; Wilson; Jess (Adamson); Bolton; Lough (Shennon); Phillips; Clark.

Burntisland Shipyard: Melia; Grubb; Grieve (Henderson); Innes; McKay; Bell; Small; Tabengwa; Anthony; Napier; Peoples. Unused Subs: Couser; McCrindle.

Referee: P. Hanlon.