Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Fair City. 1 Burntisland Shipyard. 3

City lights dimmed in dazzling Shipyard comeback

Three goals in the final fifteen minutes saw the Shipyard gain a deserved win as they again came from a man and a goal down to secure the three points. In what was a fiercely fought contest both teams ended the match with ten men, though neither could have too many complaints about their respective red cards. The Shipyard starting eleven showed one change from last week with Bryan Cook replacing the injured Mark Brough who found a place on the bench.

Fair City were first to show and Martin in the Shipyard goal had to be quick off his line to avert the danger. Dow then had a half chance for the Shipyard in the second minute but his first time volley from McCue’s cross flew over. In the 10th minute Jay had a similar chance for City with sadly for him, the same outcome. Ferrier burst down the inside-left channel and saw his shot blocked by the keeper’s chest. The rebound fell to Hamilton, but he could not get an effort on target. Fair City broke the deadlock in the 17th minute when a ball was played into the box. The ball was held up until back up arrived and the city player blasted the ball beyond Martin from the edge of the box. The Shipyard pushed to get an equaliser and both Ferrier and Williams passed up chances, before the Shipyard created their best chance so far. Ferrier broke away from the City defence and squared to Dow rather than shooting himself. The ball broke back to Ferrier but from a tight angle could only find the side net. The Shipyard were reduced to ten men in the 38th minute when Tom Williams was guilty of a dangerous tackle midway inside his own half. Two minutes later City almost doubled their lead but Andy Martin dived low to his right to pull off a fine save. The half closed with the Shipyard on the attack, however, Ross in the City goal was not troubled.

Ferrier had the first chance of the second half and again Ross blocked his shot. For the next fifteen minutes or so the game was bogged down in the midfield with neither team creating any chances. In the 63rd minute Martin got comfortably behind a drive from the edge of the box. Ferrier was involved in the thick of the action and for a ten minute spell from the 70th minute nearly everything involved him. In the 70th minute the keeper did well to parry his powerful shot away. Two minutes later as he burst away from the City defence he was unceremoniously hauled to the ground. Everyone in Ruthvenfield Park was astonished to see the referee wave play on and when play stopped Ferrier was cautioned for complaining. In a bit of action that did not involve Ferrier, substitute Wilson weaved his way into the City box and his cross/shot was just missed by Grieve at the back post. In the 77th minute the Shipyard drew level and it was that man Paul Ferrier who obliged when after a great first touch he was able to poke the ball beyond Ross for a deserved leveller. A minute later Ferrier again burst clear of the City defence and again Dott chopped him down. This time the referee gave the free-kick and had no option but to send Dott off. Dudek had a half chance for Fair City when he could not direct a low cross from the right into the Shipyard net. The Shipyard were now dominating the game and took the lead in the 84th minute when Paul Wilson got into the City box and blasted his shot beyond Ross, sending the Shipyard sideline wild with delight. Ferrier was still causing all sorts of problems and he again broke free of the City defence, but dragged his shot across the face off goal. The Shipyard sealed the win deep into stoppage time and it was Paul Ferrier who was on hand again. This time he knocked the ball home after Gray’s thunderous free-kick smashed off the post and fell to him for the easiest of chances.

After the match a battered and bruised but delighted Shipyard team headed home for a Club function with the players all looking forward to a good night out. Manager Whitehead was again happy with his team’s performance and said “We had to overcome an awful lot today and I can’t praise my boys highly enough. In the second half we controlled the game, even although we were a man short for most of it”.

Teams: Fair City: Ross; Ballingal; Beattie; Dott; Barnett; Flynn; Dudek; Jay; Blyth; Mills; Zaczek. Subs: McPhee; Gormley; Swan; Nairn; McLaren.

Burntisland Shipyard: Martin; McAndrew; Grieve; Williams; Whyte; McCue (Wilson); Hamilton (Lamont); Cook; Russell; Dow (Gray); Ferrier. Unused Subs: Brough and Tasker.

Referee: D. Wilson.