Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Girvan 0-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Girvan sunk by Galloway goal.

The Shipyard recorded another away day William Hill Scottish Cup win, this time on the Ayrshire coast, as Girvan were defeated by a solitary goal in this 2nd preliminary round tie. In all honesty, the Shippy could and should have won more convincingly against the new look home side but the woodwork and some poor decision making in the final third meant Girvan were still in the tie until the referee blew for full time. The only goal of the game arrived in the 55th minute following good work from Reece Brown, which allowed Jordan Galloway the simple task of rolling the ball into the unguarded net. The Shippy had travelled southwest without Ross Lennie, Sam Glancy and John Paul McPhail but were able to welcome back Ryan Adamson as he recovered from his broken thumb.

Girvan showed their hand from the off as they got the ball forward as quickly as possible and a long ball over the top saw Craig Harvey presented with an opportunity but Macaulay Jarrett was able to save comfortably. Callum McAulay had the Shipyard’s first attempt and although his free-kick was on target it lacked the power to trouble Darren Johnston in the home goals. The Shipyard goal survived a bit of a scare in the 19th minute when a deep corner was headed onto the top of the bar and when the ball dropped into the six-yard box the Shippy defence was able to clear. The Shipyard created a couple of chances in as many minutes as firstly a Johnny Galloway set piece was just off target and then when Brown cut in from the right he rather tamely shot into the side netting. Another long ball created a chance for Girvan but Danny Cunningham could not direct his header on target. A Harvey free-kick was on target and Jarrett took no chances as the tipped the ball over at the expense of a fruitless corner. The half almost drew to a spectacular conclusion as Pete Bell smashed a terrific left foot volley that Johnston was happy to punch away as the ball flew towards the net. 

The visitors started the second half in the ascendancy and claimed for a penalty when Jonny Galloway might have been impeded in the box. Rab Kinnaird fired a powerful drive just wide before the Shippy took the lead. Brown’s neat turn outside the area saw him in the clear and rather than shoot he unselfishly squared the ball to Jordan Galloway who knocked the ball into the net. The Shippy almost doubled their lead in the 74th minute but Dean Anderson agonisingly headed McAulay’s free-kick against the post. Antonio Sisi lobbed over from a good position and substitute Chris Stewart saw his strike held by Jarrett as Girvan looked to draw level. Bell again had a strike from distance though this time his effort was just off target. Brown burst clear of the home defence but he could not angle his shot away from Johnston. Girvan were now throwing caution to the wind as they sought at least a replay but they could not force the ball home following a scramble in the Shipyard box. The Shippy then had three glorious chances to finish the tie in the closing stages as firstly Scott Powrie had his shot saved when a ball across the face may have been more productive. Jonny Galloway saw his shot bounce back off the post and Tam Graham’s follow up was blocked. Finally, Graham stole possession just outside the area and passed to Brown but the young striker was off target with his attempt.

After the dust had settled the Shipyard had progressed through two rounds of the Scottish Cup for the first time in many years and they were handed a rare home tie in the next round when Cumbernauld Colts of the Lowland League visit Recreation Park on Saturday 22nd September. This Saturday (08/09/2018) the Shippy make the short journey to Dundonald to face the Bluebell in a league encounter at Moorside Park. Kick-off is 2.30pm.

Girvan: D. Johnston, R. Tait, M. Doolan, D. Cunningham, S. O’Donnell, M. Mossie, M. Brown, S. Millighan (D. Wilson), C. Harvey (C. Stewart), D. Mitchell, A. Sisi. Unused Subs: R. Copeland, C. Barrett, A. Hunter, J. Zonfrillo, A. McInnes.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Jarrett, C. Simpson, P. Bell, R. O’Donnell, D. Anderson, S. Strang, R. Kinnaird (R. Bernard), C. McAulay (S. Powrie), R. Brown, Jon. Galloway, Jor. Galloway (T. Graham). Unused Subs: R. Adamson & R. Connor.

Referee: G. Calder.