Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Kelso United 1 Burntisland Shipyard 2

Season finishes on a high.

The Shipyard finished off their season in fine style with a hard fought 2-1 win over Kelso United at Woodside Park. In what was a very entertaining match both teams created and missed plenty of chances as the game swung from end to end. All three keepers, the Shipyard changed theirs at half time, pulled off good saves as they looked to earn their side the three points. The Shipyard team showed three changes from the previous week against Peebles with Jordan Mushet, Kevin Masson and Grant Blyth dropping out and being replaced by Mikey Couser, Pete Bell and Jamie Fyfe.

The early stages of the match saw the Shipyard on top with Adam Doig driving over after eight minutes and Joe Samson following suit two minutes later. In the 14th minute the visitors almost broke the deadlock when Keith Buckley’s header back across Kelso keeper Elliot Turnbull hit the post before the ball was booted clear. Buckley and Doig then linked well to create a chance for Fyfe but the home defence closed him down before he got his shot away. The Shipyard took the lead in the 19th minute from the penalty spot after Doig was tripped as he burst into the box. Doig got up and took the kick himself and found the net in more convincing fashion than he did with his penalty last week. Around the 25th minute mark Kelso started to get into the match and Declan Hogg shot weakly at Couser after he latched on to a long ball. Buckley saw his strike from the edge of the area go wide on the half hour and a minute later Couser produced an outstanding save to deny Chris Black when his close range header looked destined for the net. Sadly for the Shipyard Couser was beaten a minute later when Jordan Lauder turned inside the box and powered his shot beyond the Shipyard keeper. It was now Kelso who were on top and Couser held a shot from Grant Gass. Couser was on top form and produced another quality save, this time stopping Lauder’s strike as he spread himself to block the close range effort. The rebound fell kindly to Liam Wallace but he was denied by the crossbar as he looked on in anguish. The Shipyard got back into the match in the last couple of minutes of the half as Turnbull did well to cut out Fyfe’s dangerous low cross and the same player saw his volley from 20 yards held by Turnbull.

The Shipyard started the second half with Mushet replacing Couser between the sticks with the manager wanting to give all his travelling subs a game. A Dale Robertson free-kick into the Kelso area caused a bit of panic with the visitors half heartedly claiming for handball before the ball fell to Doig who saw his attempt blocked. A Robertson pass set up Fyfe for a shooting opportunity but his shot did not trouble Turnbull. Buckley and Robertson then set up Bell for a strike inside the box and Turnbull had to look lively to save. Play then switched to the other end and Lauder dragged a shot wide. The game was really stretched now as play flowed from end to end as first Doig had an attempt held. Kelso hit back with Lauder and Shane Bonnington combining well to set up Ryan Beveridge but he saw his first time shot go narrowly wide. Samson had a powerful drive that took a slight deflection but Turnbull was equal to the task as he saved again. Sub keeper Mushet pulled off a good save before the visitors took the lead again. Craig Lowe set up young sub Daniel Watt and with his first touch, though not a clean strike, he found the top corner sending his team mates wild with delight. Watt was causing the home defence problems and twice within as many minutes he found space to get in a shot, one deflected for a corner and the other easily gathered by Turnbull. The Shipyard were disappointed with two decisions late in the match, firstly Doig looked to be impeded inside the box and it appeared the referee was about to award another penalty, however, he played advantage allowing Samson a shot that he sklaffed wide. In the closing seconds Doig was clearly fouled as he looked to keep possession and to the astonishment of everyone at Woodside Park the referee cautioned Doig for simulation which resulted in his ordering off. A truly baffling decision!

Manager Myles Allan was obviously delighted to end the season on a high and said afterwards “It was a pretty pleasing way to end the season, especially considering the number of players who were unavailable to us. The first half hour was as good as we’ve played all season. We were excellent at putting them under pressure and just as good when we were in possession. After 30 minutes I was disappointed to be just one goal up. But after that, Kelso had a 10 minute spell where they dominated and got their goal at that point. The big striker was a handful all afternoon and did well to turn and finish. Mikey also had an excellent save so, despite having the better of the first half, we could very well have found ourselves a goal down at half time”.
Myles added “The second half was a wee bit more even but I think we still shaded it in terms of possession and quality. I thought the back four were outstanding and really limited Kelso’s opportunities. In saying that, Jordan had to make a couple of decent saves. The introduction of Billy and Daniel freshened things up a wee bit and Daniel should be delighted to come off the bench and get a goal so quickly”.
Myles was not able to hide his disappointment at the red card given to Adam Doig and went on to say “It’s a shame that the ref had to spoil things at the end. The red card for Doigy was outrageous. He was clearly fouled and I think the referee should have taken a bit of time in making his decision and then he may have come to the correct decision”.

Teams: Kelso United: E. Turnbull; B. Herdman; C. Black; D. Bowie; D. McNulty; R. Beveridge; S. Bonnington; G. Gass; J. Lauder; D. Hogg; L. Wallace. Subs: A. Tait; L. Palmer; L. Hill; J. Milner.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Couser (J. Mushet); G. Bridges; P. Bell; B. Smart; A. MacDonald; D. Robertson; J. Fyfe (B. Rogerson); C. Lowe; K. Buckley (D. Watt); A. Doig; C. Samson.

Referee: P. Hanlon.