Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Kennoway Star Hearts 3-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Shippy survival hopes take a hit.

The Shipyard produced one of their poorest performances of the season as they went down 3-1 to Kennoway Star Hearts at Treaton Park. Despite getting off to a great start following Shaun Keatings’ wonder strike the Shippy couldn’t build on their lead as stray passes, bad decision making and poor finishing allowed the hosts to stay in the match and the longer the match went the more the Shippy lost a grip on proceedings. The loss of Ben Anthony due to injury after 28 minutes and Keatings not reappearing for the second half certainly didn’t help matters but given the importance of the match, it turned out to be a very disappointing night. Mark James dropped out of the squad as he joined Iain Millar and Craig Watt, amongst others on the side-lines.

Shippy players rush to celebrate Keatsy’s goal.

The Shippy created a decent chance with one minute on the clock as good build up play set up a chance for Keatsy, however, Star keeper Kyle Moran held his shot. The hosts then had a flurry of corners with the last one being headed onto the top of the bar by Pat Armour. The Shipyard took the lead in the 12th minute with a sensational strike. Moran’s clearance fell perfectly for Keatsy and with Moran stranded he fired the ball over the keeper and into the net from all of forty five yards. Anthony saw his shot blocked following a good run, with Sam Glancy unable to direct the loose ball on target as the Shippy looked for a second. Their hopes were dealt a blow when Ben was forced off injured and he was replaced by his brother Darrell. Rhys Wardlaw drove forward and broke clear of his marker only to see his angled drive slide narrowly wide of the far post. Wardlaw again powered into the box and crossed but Darrell’s side foot volley lacked the power to beat Moran. Kennoway were starting to impose themselves on the match and they drew level in the 39th minute. A right wing cross was excellently controlled by Dylan Walker and his volleyed finish gave Scott Costello no chance. Just before the interval a D. Anthony drive was held.

Cammy Lewis replaced Keatings for the start of the second half with the youngster seeing his first action for a few weeks following injury. A free kick was headed back across the box for Wardlaw to get his head on, however, Moran was able to parry his effort and then gather the ball. Costello saved low to his right before Jay Watson drove wide as Kennoway started to gain the upper hand. Star took the lead in the 77th minute when a long ball over then top found Walker with the Shippy defence static and looking for an offside that never was and although Costello forced him wide the striker took his time and shot home from the edge of the box. Costello then saved from substitute Jake Grady as Kennoway looked the more likely to score and they got a third and it was a hat-trick for Watson as he found the net from the centre of the area. Shippy manager Dave Costello was bitterly disappointed after the match and said, “We made too many mistakes and lacked the urgency and quality to build on the lead or get back into it when we went behind.”

On Saturday we travel to Pennypit Park to face Preston Athletic in what is another vital match as we try to get away from the lower reaches of the table. Kick-off is at 2.30pm. There is still a limited number of seats available on the bus.

Kennoway Star Hearts: K. Moran; J. Watson; M. Wilson J. McLelland); P. Armour (W. Romanis); L. Young; A. Higgins; L. Gartshore (G. Allan); K. Stark (J. Grady); D. Nugent (B. Mair); D. Walker; M. Black. Unused Sub: L. Bryce.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; D. Thomson; J. Wilson; L. Ross; S. Strang; S. Orrock; S. Keatings (C. Lewis); J. Galloway (R. MacAuley); B. Anthony (D. Anthony); S. Glancy; R. Wardlaw. Unused Subs: R. Connor & A. Brown.

Referee: T. Martin.