Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Kinross. 0 Burntisland Shipyard. 1

Shipyard come out on top in dour struggle

The Shipyard scrapped a narrow 1 – 0 win in what was a poor match played in difficult conditions on a very narrow pitch at Loch Leven Campus. That match was moved to this venue with the Myre still being plagued by drainage problems. The Shipyard are suffering a bit of an injury crisis at the moment with Cook, Grieve and Small all missing out today. A further blow was dealt when Ferrier broke down in the warm up and had to pull out. Things got worse with both Russell and McCue limping off during the match. Andy Martin returned in goals from his suspension which allowed Stuart Gray to return outfield.

With intermittent hail showers in the area the players of both teams found it difficult to settle and the first real action of the match did not arrive until the 8th minute when a Lamont header from a McCue corner was tipped away by Rushford in the Kinross goal. Rushford was called into action a minute later as he comfortably held Russell’s effort. A ball played into the Shipyard box created a bit of panic that Gray managed to clear for a corner although the ref awarded a goal kick. Martin held a free kick from the left hand corner of the box as Kinross enjoyed a spell of pressure. Kinross had another chance in the 28th minute however, the headed effort was wide. The Shipyard had three attempts in the closing stages of the half but, Wilson twice missed the target and Lamont shot straight at the keeper.

The action picked up at the start of the second half as Wilson showed great feet at the edge of the Kinross area. He found space to fire in a fierce shot that was tipped over by Rushford at the expense of a corner. It was Andy Martin’s turn a minute later to show his keeping skills as he saved well from Burnett’s powerful shot. A Kinross free-kick into the six yard box caused alarm in the Shipyard defence, but no-one could get a touch. In the 65th minute a Dow cross/shot had to be pushed away to safety by Rushford. Kinross then had another opportunity however, Martin held McIntyre’s shot. The Shipyard opened the scoring with twenty minutes remaining when Mark Hamilton scored his seventh of the season, with the ball going in direct from his corner at the near post. Three minutes later the ball was in the Kinross net again, only for the referee to blow for offside when Tasker knocked the ball in after Rushford pulled off a fantastic save from Gray’s pile driver. Tasker then got cautioned after becoming involved in a fracas after he was elbowed in the face. A few minutes later he was cautioned again after the referee deemed his challenge on keeper Rushford was dangerous and he was sent packing. Kinross then sensed an opportunity and pushed forward and McLean should have done better with a free-kick from the edge of the box. Kinross went very close in the 86th minute when fullback Clark rattled the bar from a full 25yards. Martin fisted away a late cross to safety in what was Kinross’ last chance of the match. Manager Whitehead was furious after the match and said “That was as poor as we have played all season we cannot afford any more performances like that if we want a high placed finish in the league”.

Teams: Kinross: Rushford; Wardlaw; Clark; McAleavey; Gray; Graham; Small; McLean; Lindsay; McIntyre; Burnett. Subs: Siddique; Thackery; Greenhorn; Mackay; Watt.

Burntisland Shipyard: Martin; McAndrew; Brough; Whyte; Gray; Wilson; Hamilton; Lamont; Dow; Russell (Tasker); McCue (Whitehead).

Referee: S. Rosner.