Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Leven United. 5 Burntisland Shipyard. 5

Shipyard frustrated after 10 goal thriller

The Shipyard and Leven produced a 10 goal thriller that both teams could lay claim to being the team that should have won. Obviously defences were not on top, though the Shipyard will be disappointed to lose the equaliser in added time to 10 men. The Shipyard team saw one change to the line up from Saturday with Michael Brown replacing Lee Small.

The Shipyard fell behind in the 8th minute when Ross Smith volleyed home from 15 yards while the Shipyard were down to 10 men with Leishman off receiving treatment. Before the restart Leishman was replaced by Small. Within a minute of coming on Small set up the Shipyard equaliser, robbing the Leven defender of the ball and setting up Neil Johnston whose shot from 14 yards found the corner of the net. Leven regained the lead in the 29th minute when T. Williams misjudged a long ball allowing Craig Smith the opportunity to lob the ball over Chalmers. The Shipyard were pushing hard for an equaliser and were denied by the referee’s whistle when Cook was adjudged to have committed a foul as he headed home a McCue corner. Leven went close when a shot on the angle hit the outside of the post but, it was the Shipyard who scored next when Josh Williams scored a fine solo goal. Bursting through the Leven defence he coolly dinked the ball over the advancing Young in the Leven goal.

The second half was only 3 minutes old when Leven went ahead again from the penalty spot. T. Williams was adjudged to have tripped the Leven forward, though some of the players closer to the action thought it was a dive. Ross Smith smashed the penalty into the net for his second goal of the match. The Shipyard were level again in the 52nd minute with a well created goal. M. Hamilton played in a perfect pass to Owen McCue and he found the net with his well placed shot from just inside the box. Leven then had a spell on top and Barrett should have done better than put his free header wide. In the 64th minute T. Williams looked to have saved a certain goal when he bravely blocked a goal bound effort. The goals kept on coming and it was the Shipyard who took the lead for the first time when Owen McCue’s 35 yard free-kick left Young helpless in the Leven goal. Leven were then reduced to 10 men when Fraser was sent off for his second yellow card after fouling J. Williams. Leven were back level again in the 72nd minute with a fine goal as Craig Smith volleyed home from 6 yards out. With 10 minutes left the Shipyard went 5 – 4 ahead when Owen McCue completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after he had been fouled in the box. Amazingly a 10th goal arrived in the 92nd minute when the Shipyard lost possession around the halfway line and Barry Winn was at the back post to bundle a deep cross over the line to make the final score 5 all. In what was a bruising encounter several Shipyard players were nursing injuries at the end of the match with Shaun Leishman suffering the most with a nasty hip injury.

A frustrated Billy Whitehead said after the match “we more than matched a team that is going for the league title. We should not have lost that goal at the end and it feels like a defeat”.

Teams; Leven United: Young; Fraser; Gartshore; Barrett; Winn; S. Murray; R. Smith; Bilan; Scott; C. Smith; Rowbotham. Subs: K. Murray; Brown; Cunningham; Justice.

Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; McAndrew; Whyte; T. Williams; Cook; Brown (Russell); M. Hamilton; Leishman (Small); McCue; Johnston; J. Williams (Dow). Unused Subs: Grieve; Houston.

Referee: R. Smith.