Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Lumphinnans United. 3 Burntisland Shipyard. 0

Mised chances again prove costly

Manager Billy Whitehead was again left bemoaning the lack of a finisher as chance after chance, including a penalty miss, went a begging, though credit must be given to Lumphinnans keeper Paul Davidson for a great performance. Credit also to the rest of the Lumphinnans team for taking most of the chances that came their way. The Shipyard team showed one change from last week with Brough replacing the unavailable Marshall.

Lumphinnans started the better and had a chance from a free kick in the second minute, but the effort was well over the bar. Lumphinnans took the lead in the 6th minute when the Shipyard defence could not clear the ball from inside the six yard box and Adamson was on hand to poke the ball home. Dow had the first chance for the Shipyard in the 11th minute but his powerful shot was parried by Davidson and Brough’s follow up header drifted wide. Dow had another chance a minute later, but he shot over with only the keeper to beat. Lumphinnans went two nil ahead in the 21st minute when a shot from the corner of the box was well placed away from Martin and into the corner of the net. The Shipyard had a couple of shots from long range that were off target before Martin held a low shot in the 34th minute. The next ten minutes saw the Shipyard create several great chances but could not beat Davidson in the Lumphinnans goal. Russell and Dow combined well to set up a chance for Hamilton, which the keeper blocked with his legs. Dow was through on the keeper again, only to be thwarted by another good block. In the 39th minute a McCue shot was blocked, and then seconds later he was upended in the box for a blatant penalty. McCue took the kick himself only to see his shot beaten away by Davidson. Two minutes before half-time Davidson was in action again, this time pushing away Russell’s headed effort.

Five minutes into the second half Martin in the Shipyard goal done well to push a dangerous shot away to safety. Lumphinnans scored a third goal in the 53rd minute when Hay’s shot from just inside the box took a deflection to leave Martin helpless. The Shipyard continued to try and find a way back into the match and sub J. Williams blasted high and wide at the back post from around six yards. Lumphinnans were content to sit on their lead and let the Shipyard have most of the ball and subsequently it was mainly the Shipyard that had chances in the last quarter. Davidson touched a dangerous Dow cross over for a corner, Cook then shot over from the edge of the box as time was running out for the Shipyard. Even in the 89th minute Davidson showed he was not going to be beaten as he pulled off another good save, this time from a Grieve drive. T. Williams had the last chance of the match when he headed over from a McCue corner. After the match Billy Whitehead said “We created so many chances today and never took one of them. I need someone who is going to put the ball in the net. But fair play to Lumphinnans, they took three chances and the keeper done his job with a fine display”.

Teams: Lumphinnans United: Davidson; N. Harvey; Thomson; McMillan; Robinson; S. Harvey; Lynas; Hay; Adamson; Bratchie; Duffy. Subs: Child; Cochrane; Hardie; Cummings; Muirhead.

Burntisland Shipyard: Martin; McCue; Grieve; T. Williams; Whyte; McAndrew (J. Williams); Hamilton; Cook; Russell (McFarlane); Dow; Brough (Paul). Unused Subs: Doyle; Houston.

Referee: S. Rosner.