Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Luncarty 3-0 Burntisland Shipyard

Shippy lose in Perthshire.

The quest for a top seven finish will go right down to the wire following the weekend results. A 3-0 defeat for the Shippy coupled with a last gasp 1-0 win for Heriot Watt University leaves the gap at two points with one game remaining. Both teams are at home on Saturday with the Shipyard hosting Kinnoull while the Uni welcome Luncarty.

The Shippy travelled to Perthshire on Friday night to face Luncarty and came away empty handed following a disappointing lose, their first league defeat since 9th December. The circumstances of the defeat frustrated manager Dave Costello and he said after the match. “We didn’t deserve to lose three nil. I don’t think Luncarty created a whole host of chances, the first two goals were very poor defensively and before the third there is a clear foul on Sam in the build-up. We had three goals disallowed for offside and big Jack hit the bar so we were well in the game. We also had two shouts for penalties which unsurprisingly were turned down.” When asked about the officials’ performance he would not be drawn and only said “It’s not worth it. Everyone here seen it. When Deano, one of the mildest mannered people you could meat gets booked for complaining and raising his voice then I’m sure you get the picture.” Costello’s observations were certainly echoed by the large Shipyard support in the crowd with many baffled by the youthful officials’ decisions.

Keatsy was unlucky on more than one occasion.

The Shippy got off to the worst possible start as Luncarty took the lead in the 4th minute when Iain Millar slipped allowing Aaron Carlon to deliver a cross that was headed home by the unmarked Olly Hamilton. A Shaun Keatings drive was parried away by home keeper Mike Patton and a Millar head flick from a Stuart Walton long throw was booted clear. A scrambled effort that went in was correctly ruled offside, however, a Keatings curling strike into the top corner looked to be well onside but unfortunately the officials’ thought otherwise. Darrell Anthony saw his powerful shot pushed away as the Shippy looked the more likely at this stage. It was the hosts who scored a second in the 41st and once again a cross from the right-hand side was not dealt with and Ben Scarborough had the simple task of knocking the ball home.

Jack saw his strike come back off the bar.

The second half was only eight minutes old when Luncarty scored a third when Scarborough curled a great effort into the top corner. Shippy sub Jack Wilson hit the bar with a thunderous strike before Keatsy was booked for diving despite there being a clear foul on the winger. Ben Anthony then saw a “goal” disallowed for an apparent offside as the Shippy kept going in search of something from the match. In the dying stages Mark James was red carded for something he said to his manager that the referee seemingly didn’t like.

On Saturday (28/05/2022) we are at home to Kinnoull in what promises to be a tense conclusion to the season where three points will seal a top seven finish whatever happens at the Oriam. We look for your continued excellent support to help get the team over the line. Kick-off at Recreation Park is at 2.30pm.

Luncarty: M. Patton; D; Walker; K. Sinclair; D. Dobie; L. Mackie; C. Mitchell; K. Dewar; K. Green; B. Scarborough; O. Hamilton; A. Carlon. Subs: J. Yates; S. Nicol; S. Burton; S. Sutherland; C. Anton.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross; R. O’Donnell; M. James; I. Millar; C. Watt (S. Orrock); S. Keatings (J. Galloway); D. Anthony (S. Strang); B. Anthony; S. Glancy (J. Wilson); S. Walton (D. Thomson). Unused Subs: M. Miller & R. Connor.

Referee: S. McLelland.