Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard. 2 Cowdenbeath. 0

Shipyard knock out first division Cowden

The Shipyard recorded a rare Fife Cup victory with a 2 – 0 win over a strong Cowdenbeath side at Recreation Park last night. What a difference a year can make after the 11 – 0 drubbing last season. Conor Drury was given his first start for the Shipyard and a couple of trialists were also given a chance to impress against tough opposition. Cowdenbeath manager Colin Cameron played a team mixed with youth and experience and included himself amongst the substitutes.

The Shipyard had an opportunity in the 10th minute when a misplaced header found its way to A. Trialist whose shot was blocked. Cowden then had a chance when Thomas broke clear but he trod on the ball as he tried to get a shot away. The Shipyard took the lead in the 19th minute when Paul Wilson ran forward unchallenged and drove his shot beyond Wight into the net. Zephaniah Thomas then smashed a terrific shot the rattled the Shippy crossbar with Melia beaten. The Shipyard players were sticking to their task and working hard all over the pitch and they stunned the visitors again in the 33rd minute when Craig Hatton played a pass to A. Trialist, who found himself in acres of space and slotted the ball passed Wight. Hatton missed a chance for the Shipyard before Thomas again missed an opening for Cowden when he headed wide from close range at the back post. Mike Brown had to replace Stuart Gray who picked up a nasty arm injury and in the last action of the half Maz Melia pulled off a good save from Cowden’s Lewis Milne.

Twelve minutes into the second half Cowdenbeath sub Ben Anthony saw his goal bound shot deflected and the resultant corner kick hit the face of the bar as it swerved in. The Shipyard defence was under some pressure now and one effort was hooked clear from under the bar. Twice within a minute Hatton had opportunities, firstly he sklaffed a left foot shot wide and then when clear at the edge of the box he delayed and allowed the Cowden defence to crowd him out. Both teams were creating chances and Melia pulled of another good save from Pablo Navas. Cowden were pushing hard to get back into the match and Mark Brough had to produce a timely tackle to avert the danger. Nicholson beat Melia to a cross from the right but he could not direct his header on target. The Shipyard were resolute in defence as they determinedly held onto their advantage and the last chance of the match fell to Anthony of Cowden who slammed his shot wide.

Shipyard manager Billy Whitehead was naturally ecstatic after the game and said “We showed great effort, workrate and togetherness. We also created a few chances out with the goals we scored. We had a few youngsters out their tonight and the boys that came in did very well”. Cowdenbeath manager Colin Cameron was obviously disappointed and said “Both goals came from mistakes on our part, however, both goals were finished well. We created a lot of chances and really should have taken some of them. It was a reasonably strong team I fielded tonight because I knew it would be difficult and told the players that”.

Teams: Burntisland Shipyard: Melia; Grubb; Brough; Gray (Brown); Whyte; Drury; Hamilton; Lamont; Trialist (Neish); Hatton (Trialist); Wilson.

Cowdenbeath: Wight; Cowan; Christie; Finnie; Mbu; Milne; Johnstone; Ramsay; Thomas; Nicholson; Navas. Substitutes: Wilson; Fleming; Anthony; Cameron; Linus.

M. McHendry.