Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard. 3 Fair City. 0

Opening game victory for Shipyard

The Shipyard belatedly got their league season up and running with a 3 – 0 win over Fair City at a rain lashed Recreation Park. A double on his debut from Blair Smart and a Mark Hamilton strike, all in the first half, sealed the points. Though Fair City came back strongly in the second half the Shipyard defence stood firm and secured a rare clean sheet. Along with Smart, Mark Brough made his debut from the bench though back-up keeper Andy Martin is still waiting to take his bow.

Hamilton, Johnston and McCue all had attempts at goal in the opening quarter of an hour for the Shipyard before Blair Smart broke the deadlock, heading home a cross from the right after a corner had only been partially cleared. Scott Chalmers held a free kick hit from just outside the box before Mark Hamilton doubled the Shipyards lead in the 19th minute, when his shot from all of 35 yards deceived Metters in the Fair City goal. It was almost three a couple of minutes later when Steven McAndrew showed great control in the box to bring down a pass, however, the keeper redeemed himself with a good block. The Shipyard were dealt a blow in the 27th minute when Neil Johnston had to leave the field after suffering what looked like a serious knee injury. Chalmers again showed good handling in the slippery condition when he held a long range effort on the half hour mark. Blair Smart then got his second and the Shipyards third in the 34th minute when he again scored with a header, this time from the corner delivered by McCue. A minute later Craig Russell saw his shot drift wide after good build up from Grieve.

The second half was a totally different affair with Fair City dominating possession, but not troubling Chalmers too often. Indeed it was not until the 70th minute that the ball got passed Chalmers, though Tom Williams was on hand to clear the ball away. The closest Fair city came was in the 74th minute when Chalmers was beaten by an angled shot, however, the ball struck the post and bounced clear of any danger. The shipyard came back into the match in the latter stages and Whyte and Russell combined only for the latter’s shot to be blocked. In the 82nd minute a drive from Hamilton was parried by Metters and sub Dow was first to react, but his powerful effort was wide of the target. In the final minute Chalmers again showed good awareness, this time pushing a low shot round the post for a corner.

After the game manager Whitehead was pleased and said “we passed the ball well at times and zipped it about. The first half performance was very good and getting the three goal lead was excellent. The second half was not so good and we lost our way a bit. Losing Jossy with that knee injury is a worry and it is too early to say exactly what damage has been done”.

Teams: Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; Grieve (Dow); Whyte; T. Williams; Smart; McAndrew; Hamilton; McCue; Russell; Johnston(Brough); J. Williams. Unused Subs: Tasker; Cook; Martin.

Fair City: Metters; Ballingal; Barnett; Dott; Simpson; Jay; Ross; Dudek; R. Blyth; Taylor; Hay. Subs: McKay; P. Blyth; Beattie; Flynn; Peebles.

Referee: R. Meikle.