Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Edinburgh South 0-2 Burntisland Shipyard

Two goals in as many minutes seals Shippy win.

Two quickfire goals at the start of the second half ensured Shipyard maintained their unbeaten start to the season. Both goals came from dead ball situations, with Reece Brown netting from a free-kick and captain Ben Anthony converting from the spot after South received a red card for a challenge inside the box. The only change to Shippy starting eleven from Wednesday night’s win over Hawick saw Jordan Galloway come in for the injured Lee Henderson.

The weather conditions were a marked contrast to what we have experienced so far this season with persistent rain replacing the glorious sunshine of previous weeks.

The Kings Park surface was in immaculate condition for the match and it remained that way despite the continuous rain that was falling on it.

The first attempt on goal came in the 14th minute when Shippy keeper Scott Costello pushed away David Stewart’s free-kick. Midway through the half Shipyard created a couple of half chances, however, in truth there was very little in the way of goalmouth action. B. Anthony dragged a shot wide in the 34th minute and after a fine pass from Shaun Keatings the same man saw his strike saved by South keeper Antal Tompos after 43 minutes.

After the lack of chances in the first period the game sparked to life at the start of the second with Shipyard quickly establishing a two goal lead. In the 48th minute Brown’s free-kick found the bottom corner with the ball bouncing just in front of the keeper and skidding in. A minute later B. Anthony broke clear and burst into the box where he was dragged down by the South defender Jordan Daly. The referee had no option but to show the red card and it was a double whammy when B. Anthony stroked home the resultant spot kick to put Shippy 2-0 ahead. Substitute Josh Urquhart headed wide from a corner as Shippy remained in control with the ten men struggling to create anything. As the game entered the closing minutes Costello pushed a Jordan Cropley attempt to safety and shortly after Shippy eventually cleared the ball from a corner. Brown ran from his own half onto a through ball and his lob over the advancing keeper was narrowly wide of the target. Tompos saved from B. Anthony as the game moved into added time and Brown saw another lobbed effort drift off target.

Manager Dave Costello was happy after the match when he said “We were not at it in the first half, however, we came out flying at the start of the second and got our two goals. The defence was very good again today will big Millzy outstanding”. He added “Big Ross’ coaching is certainly paying dividends.”

Iain Millar impressed the manager with another fine performance.

Next Saturday (07/08/2021) we travel across the Forth again with Preston Athletic providing the opposition in a King Cup first round clash. Kick off at Pennypit Park is at 2.30pm.

Edinburgh South: Antal Tompos; D. O’Hara; R. Kerr; J. Young; I. Ballantyne; D. Stewart; A. Hunter; T. Aitchison; D. Ndiweni; J. Daly; J. Sharkey. Subs: J. Cropley; A. Jones; J. Kerr; O. Gray; S. Martin.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; M. Miller (R. O’Donnell); C. McManus (J. Urquhart); M. James (G. Ross); I. Millar; S. Glancy; S. Keatings; D. Anthony; B. Anthony; J. Galloway (S. Strang); R. Brown. Unused Sub: R. Connor.

Referee: I. Gallacher.