Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Ormiston 2 Burntisland Shipyard 1

Late goal sickener for Shipyard.

Alex Lowe’s career as Shipyard manager got off to a losing start but it took a goal in the 98th minute, yes the 98th minute to defeat his team. Make no mistake, Ormiston thoroughly deserved their victory but the manner in which their winning goal came left a sour taste in the Shipyard mouths. No-one at the match could quite believe how much time was added on with some wags in the crowd questioning if the ref’s watch had stopped or if he was playing until Ormiston scored. Alex’s first team selection gave him a headache right away with four members of his small squad unavailable through injury or other commitments, though he was boosted by the return of JP McPhail and Joe Samson. His assistant Neil McLeod took a place on the bench,

Ormiston started the match strongly and in the first three minutes the Shipyard defence had to be on their toes to clear dangerous situations. Slowly the visitors started to get a foothold in the match and Ewan Henderson was unlucky to be caught offside after good work from Billy Rogerson. Lee Cockerell was unfortunate to see his header hit the top of the bar as the hosts looked for the opening goal, then Shipyard keeper Jordan Mushet saved low at his near post. A Brendan Napier free-kick from wide on the left had to be parried away by Ormiston keeper Andrew Jack when the Shipyard player tried to catch him out with a shot rather than a cross. Ormiston again hit the woodwork, this time through Declan Quinn who saw his strike hit the post. The game was swinging from end to end with both teams creating chances as the half drew to a close with Cockerell going close for Ormiston and Adam Doig doing likewise for the Shipyard.

Having been on the back foot for most of the first half the Shipyard stunned their hosts by taking the lead at the start of the second. Napier played the ball wide to Rogerson and his excellent cross was headed home by Craig Lowe. A great was to impress his father in his first game in charge! Two minutes later Doig forced Jack to save at his near post after shooting from a tight angle. Ormiston were now starting to exert a bit of pressure on the Shipyard defence and Mushet did well to block with his legs from Quinn. Mushet then pulled off a tremendous double save as Ormiston looked certain to score. The hosts equalised on the hour mark when substitute Samson, only on the park for seconds, was adjudged to have fouled Quinn in the box. After the match Samson was adamant that Quinn slipped and he never touched him but the penalty was given and George Cunningham made no mistake from the spot. Ormiston continued to pile forward with Quinn being involved in most of the action as firstly he blasted over from close range then when the ball came back to him off the bar he did the same again as he could not get his effort on target. As the game moved in to added time the Shipyard had an amazing let off when with the goal at his mercy the Ormiston player somehow missed the target. The Shipyard players were infuriated a minute later when Quinn rose and blatantly tried to put the ball in the net with his hands. Having been cautioned in the first half, he should have received another yellow but the ref chose only to award the free-kick. This decision came back to hunt the Shipyard as it was Quinn who bundled the ball over the line from close range when it broke to him in the 98th minute to win the match for his side.

After the match Alex had mixed emotions when he said “Both Neil and I were very pleased with the player’s attitude, commitment and work rate during the game. Although Ormiston deserved their win as they had a number of clear cut chances which they did not convert, the final manner of the victory was tainted due to the referee adding 8 minutes injury time at the end of the game when neither physio had to go on the park to treat injuries the whole second half. Every time we had a free kick the Ormiston side-line were claiming timewasting even when their own players were carrying the ball away after giving away yet another free kick”.

Speaking about his new job Alex said “Neil and I have had a difficult first week and we were severely depleted squad wise today with only 13 available players, with 3 of these carrying knocks. Some of the players on the park played in unfamiliar positions and every single one of them battled hard and kept competing until the end of the game. Ewan Henderson put himself about in the middle of midfield and competed very well and young Todd had a number of last ditch clearances which kept us in the game. Jordan also had a number of good saves. The team is obviously low in confidence and our ball retention, passing and movement needs improved. We also struggle with the physicality of many of the teams in this league. These are things we will work to improve in training.

The goal we scored was very well worked with a good piece of skill from Billy Rogerson and a good cross for Craig to score with a fine header. Ormiston equalised with a penalty where Joe Samson slipped and claimed he did not touch the Ormiston player. We thought that we might hold on for a fortunate point until Ormiston’s winner deep into injury time”.

Looking ahead to next week Alex went on to say “We have Peebles next week and they sit at the top of the league and gave us a 6-1 thumping last time we played them. Hopefully we will have a stronger squad to pick from on Saturday and we certainly must improve on this result”.

Ormiston: A. Jack; J. Mack; K. Watson; R. Ferguson; L. Skinner; J. Morgan; R. Barker (J. Edmond); G. Cunningham; L. Cockerell (G. Gavin); D. Quinn; B. McEwan (D. McGrath). Unused Subs: A. McKillop & S. Glynn.

Burntisland Shipyard: J. Mushet; P. Bell; E. Anderson (C. Samson); A. Clark; T. Arthur; B. Rogerson (JP. McPhail); B. Napier; E. Henderson; A. Doig; K. Masson; C. Lowe. Unused Sub: N. McLeod.

Referee: C. Doyle.