Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Ormiston 7 Burntisland Shipyard 3

Defensive woes continue for Shipyard.

With nine of the players that were on duty last week unavailable for one reason or another it was all change again for the Shippy as they travelled to Ormiston for what was a meaningless League Cup section match for both teams. In fairness the hosts were also down to the bare bones with several of their squad also missing.

In the early stages it was one way traffic as Ormiston laid siege to the Shippy goal with Yusif Bernawi and Craig O’Neil both going close. Luke Fleming then cleared an effort off the line after Shippy keeper Sean Murphy saved. The Shipyard took the lead with their first attempt at goal when Ewan Fotheringham deftly flicked in an Andy MacDonald free-kick. Unfortunately for the Shippy they could not settle on their lead as the hosts drew level four minutes later as David Nash burst clear of the Shipyard defence and slotted the ball beyond Murphy. Lyle Kellichan headed over a Mark Black cross but it was Ormiston who took the lead in the 28th minute when Jonathon Malcolm was allowed time at the edge of the box to line up his shot which he duly dispatched into the net. Bernawi missed a chance for his team before the Shippy drew level. Once again it was down to the quality of MacDonald’s delivery as Black got on the end of his flighted free-kick and bundled the ball home from close range. Black almost snatched a second goal for himself but headed wide before the Shippy were hit with a double whammy prior to the interval. A Bernawi strike found the far corner of the net in the 41st minute and two minutes later he scored again when he converted a cut back from the centre of the box. Fotheringham almost got the Shipyard a goal back in the closing seconds of the half but his hooked effort went wide.

The Shipyard had a massive let off in the 55th minute when due to some poor finishing and some heroic defending they managed to scramble the ball away for a corner. Once again Ormiston missed a great chance to increase their lead but somehow Nash missed the target when it looked easier to score. The game then disappeared out of sight for the Shippy in the space of two minute when firstly Ormiston dangerman Bernawi scored after another powerful run in the 61st minute and it was six a minute later, though how the goal stood as it appeared Ormiston were offside on two occasions was baffling with the Ormiston player putting the ball in the net from the goal line. The Shippy pulled one back in the 67th minute when Fotheringham converted a Black cross, then home keeper Daryl Johnston held a MacDonald free-kick. The Shipyard then had Luke Fleming sent off for a second yellow card, though it looked harsh in what was a fifty fifty challenge. O’Neill completed the scoring with eight minutes remaining with a strike from the edge of the box, though it was not the end of the drama as Ormiston had two players sent off in the closing minutes as firstly Nicky Cairns received a second yellow, though it was not apparent if it was for his retaliatory kick at the Shipyard players head. Kenny Ford was also cautioned for his part in the incident. Ormiston sub Richard Weir was they shown a straight red card for a shocking lunge on young Lyle Kellichan.

Next up on Saturday 17th September the Shipyard are at home to Glasgow University in the South Region Challenge Cup 1st Round. Kick off 2.30pm.

Ormiston: D. Johnston; J. Malcolm; G. Millard; Z. Walker (J. Morgan); A. Morgan (R. Weir); N. Cairns; T. Carr (C. McArthur); C. O’Neill; Y. Bernawi; A. Simpson; D. Nash.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Murphy; C. Watt; L. Kellichan; K. Ford; D. Roberts; A. MacDonald; E. Fotheringham; L. Fleming; M. Black; C. Maxwell; N. McKay.

Referee: K. Lindsay.