Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Shotts Bon Accord 6-0 Burntisland Shipyard

Shippy blown away at Shotts

The Shipyard were comprehensively beaten 6-0 by an impressive Shotts Bon Accord side at Hannah Park on Saturday. The home side moved the ball quickly and passed it well despite the difficult conditions as a very strong wind blew diagonally across the large pitch and importantly, took their chances. Darrell Anthony was suspended for the match while young Cammy Lewis was still side-lined with the groin injury, he picked up at Newtongrange.

Scott Costello had to be on his toes to tip over an effort in the 9th minute and at the other end Nathan Feeley broke clear but he could only hit the side netting as the angle closed on him. Taylor Evans went close a couple of times as he narrowly missed the target in the 15th and 18th minutes. Sam Glancy dragged a left foot shot wide before the Shippy missed their best chance so far. It all stemmed from a Shotts free-kick that the wall blocked. The ball was quickly played forward to Ben Anthony who burst clear, however, Bon Accord keeper Daniel Graham Stood firm and denied “Benji” with a good save. It was Shotts turn to break quickly following a corner and they capitalised as Joshua Watt remained composed and slipped the ball beyond Costello and into the net. It was a double blow for the Shipyard as Craig Watt was injured in the build-up and had to be replaced by Sandy Strang. “Rooney” took a knock to his knee which will put him in the doubtful category for next week’s Scottish Cup match. Lewis Ross was unable to continue in the second half and he was replaced by Dan Thomson.

Joshua Watt beats Scott Costello to open the scoring.

Shotts were a different proposition in the second half with the elements behind them and almost immediately Costello had to push away a dangerous swirling cross. Shaun Keating headed over from a fine Iain Millar cross but the Shippy found themselves two down in the 50th minute. It was a very unfortunate goal as a low cross from the right had the Shipyard defence facing their own goal and Strang got the last touch leaving Costello stranded. The Shippy created a couple of chances as the game approached the hour mark as firstly Keatings saw his shot cleared off the line and then Jack Wilson headed wide. Shotts scored a third goal in the 61st minute as a deep cross was headed home by Aaron Bryson despite Costello getting a hand to the ball. The roof then caved in on the Shippy as they conceded another two in quick succession as sub Martin Shiels scored with an angled shot and then fellow sub Jonathan McStay notched after he latched on to a long ball. The Shippy had a brief flurry as a good Thomson cross was touched behind for a corner and then Millar saw his header saved from the resultant set piece. Shiels smashed a thunderous effort off the bar as the game entered the final ten minutes and the scoring was complete when McStay got his second when he lashed the ball home after it pinged around the Shipyard box.

Big Millzy heads an effort at goal.

There was no question that Shotts mastered the conditions in both halves, particularly with the wind behind them, much better than the Shipyard and were worthy winners at the end of the day. For the Shipyard there is the small matter of the Scottish Cup next week as we welcome Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale to Recreation Park for a preliminary round tie. Kick-off is at 3.00pm.

Shotts Bon Accord: D. Graham; D. Sutherland; A. Muir; O. Tobin; A. Bryson; A. Martin; J. Cameron; T. Evans; P. McGeough; P. O’Donnell; J. Watt. Subs: C. Crawford; R. Duddy; S. Kent; J. McStay; E. Miller; J. Murdoch; M. Shiels.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross (D. Thomson); R. O’Donnell; S. Orrock; I. Millar; C. Watt (S. Strang); S. Keatings; S. Glancy (A. Brown); B. Anthony; J. Wilson; N. Feeley (L. Henderson). Unused Sub: R. Connor.

Referee: E. Birch.