Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Stirling University 5-2 Burntisland Shipyard

Shippy defence all at sea.

The Shipyard were once again defensively all at sea, predominantly in the first forty five minutes as Stirling University cut them open almost at will. Manager Lee Richardson changed things around at the interval and those changes worked as the Shippy kept a clean sheet in the second half, however, the damage was done. With Ben Anthony, Harris Kay, Sandy Strang and Kearyn Hicks unavailable, Shaun Keatings suspended and Craig Watt and Cammy Lewis injured, Richardson did not have his troubles to seek.

The Shippy got off to a calamitous start shipping another early goal, this time possession was given up far too easily and Ryan Lennon netted from around six yards. CJ Thomson fired a free kick just wide before Scott Costello was at full stretch to turn the ball around the post. Stirling grabbed a second in the 14th minute when a ball across the face of goal found it’s way to the back post where the unmarked Ben Hislop knocked the ball home. The Shippy got back into the match a couple of minutes later when a Robbie MacAulay corner sailed into the top corner though Iain Millar may have got the last touch as the ball crossed the line. Before the Shippy could build on their goal they fell two behind again, though this was a touch controversial as Michael Gibb seemed to be deliberately obstructed as he went to challenge Hislop. However, the Uni man was allowed to continue and he dispatched a fine strike beyond Costello. The big keeper was then forced into a couple of good saves as he kept the students at bay. Stirling scored as fourth goal in the 34th minute when the Shippy defence failed to clear a corner. It was soon five as Mark Harty drove the ball home from the edge of the box. The Shippy then passed up a couple of golden chances to reduce arrears as firstly MacAulay failed to beat the keeper when put through one on one and when the resultant corner came in it hit the outside of the post. A minute into added time Billy Murray lobbed over from a good position when he might have done better.

Mikey drove the Shipyard forward in the second half.

Ryan O’Donnell had replaced Matty Robertson just before the interval and combined with a couple of positional changes the Shippy had a much different look about them as the second period commenced. Big Millzy headed a corner over from six yards out and then MacAulay shot straight at the keeper after being set up by Mark James. The Shipyard deservedly pulled one back in the 61st minute when Murray back heeled the ball in following good work from Gibb. Another quick goal might have made it interesting but when Lewis Ross’ header came back off the post in the 66th minute you felt that maybe that was the one that had to go in. Neither team threatened much after that and in the end the Uni comfortably saw out the match without any further scares.

We travel to Memorial Park on Saturday to face Thornton Hibs in the first round of the South Challenge Cup. Kick-off is at 2.30pm

Stirling University: A. Buttogeig; J. Navarro; L. Stewart; D. Laird; O. Hunter; A. Penman; B. Hislop; Z. Kohring; N. Tallen; M. Harty; R. Lennon. Subs: A. Rowan; F. Aigbokie; B. Moule; T. Sigauke; M. Thomson; E. Walker’

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; M. Gibb; M. Robertson (R. O’Donnell); H. Milne; I. Millar; L. Ross; CJ. Thomson; M. James; B. Murray; R. MacAulay; D. Thomson (R. Watt). Unused Subs: A. Brown & D. Pierce.

Referee: R. McCartney.