Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 0 Leith Athletic 2

No cup shock for Shipyard.

Two quick fire goals on the stroke of half-time put paid to the Shipyard’s chances of progressing in the King Cup, however, they competed well and put up a decent fight against the much fancied visitors, who currently top the East of Scotland premier division. Barry Thomson kept his place in goal with Jordan Mushet, returning from injury, taking a place on the bench. Adam Doig also returned from his dislocated shoulder but Blair Smart missed out having damaged ligaments in his knee.

Thomson had to be brave in the 5th minute when Jamie Lauder played a ball into the Shipyard box, he was quick off his line to smother the ball with Leith players appealing for a penalty as his collided with the on rushing forward. Thomson had to get treatment for a burst lip but fortunately he was able to continue. Leith’s Stephen Baigan had a shot on target though Thomson was equal to it as he saved comfortably. The Shipyard came into the match after around 15 minutes and a Pete Bell cross set up a chance for Dale Robertson but he could not connect as the ball drifted away to safety. At the other end Ethan Anderson had to be alert to clear an inswinging corner off the line as Leith pressed for the opener. Kevin Masson fired in a free-kick which was on target but his strike did not cause keeper Ian Gordon too many problems. The game swung back to the other end and a dangerous cross into the Shipyard box was well cleared by Craig Lowe before Thomson saved again, this time from a John Ferguson effort. Leith were on top and had a few corners that the Shipyard defence were struggling to clear with the strong wind keeping the ball in and around the Shipyard area. A shot/ cross from Baigan drifted over and Robbie Mason shot just over after Anderson had lost the ball at the edge of the box. Leith took the lead in the 43rd minute when the Shipyard lost possession at the edge of their box and the ball broke to Baigan who despatched the ball beyond Thomson from 18 yards. Baigan was on target again two minutes later as he doubled his sides lead when he scored direct from a corner despite Thomson’s valiant effort to keep it out.

In the 54th minute a Masson shot went narrowly passed the post as the Shippy looked to get back into the match with the wind at their backs in this half. Lewis Tracy shot wide for Leith after receiving a fine pass from Baigan. In the 66th minute a Ewan Henderson drive was blocked for a corner but the Shipyard could not capitalise on the better possession they had in the second half and as the match wore on neither team was creating clear cut chances though the Shipyard probably had the better of the late exchanges.

Manager Alex Lowe took some positives from the match when he spoke after the match declaring “Both teams struggled to play good football in the extremely blustery conditions and we acquitted ourselves pretty well against the top team in the Premier league, who only two weeks ago beat the top Lowland league team, Edinburgh City, in a cup semi-final. Although we defended well in the game we still had two defensive lapses just before half time which cost us dearly in an even game. Leith did not create many clear cut chances in open play and we came close on 2 or 3 occasions which may have changed the game in our favour. The coaching staff were pleased with our effort and commitment during the game and we need to keep working hard in the coming weeks to gain some positive results in the league.

Burntisland Shipyard: B. Thomson; P. Bell; E. Anderson (J. Bouhaddou); T. Arthur; C. Lowe; B. Napier; E. Henderson (A. Doig); S. Keatings; D. Robertson; JP. McPhail; K. Masson (N. McLeod). Unused Sub: J. Mushet.

Leith Athletic: I. Gordon; K. Allan; C. Barrie; N. Lowson; S. Melvin; R. Mason; L. Tracy; J. Lauder; J. Hainey; J. Ferguson; S. Baigan. Subs: C. Beaton; G. Burns; E. Campbell; S. Glynn; K. Murray.

Referee: K. Maskell.