Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 0 Civil Service Strollers 1

Shippy unlucky in narrow defeat.

Manager Raymond Drury’s unbeaten start to his tenure came to an end as his team were narrowly beaten 1-0 by Civil Service Strollers at Recreation Park. It was down to the two goalkeepers that the scoreline was only one nil as both Jordan Mushet and Stuart Burnside pulled off fine saves, with one in particular from Burnside when he kept out an effort from Shippy forward Steven Stark, outstanding. This was the first game at Recreation Park since the 19th December due to the recent wet weather and the players found the soft pitch difficult. Drury had to make full use of his squad with his son Connor and Mark James suspended. Also out were Ewan Henderson, Adam Doig, JP McPhail and Brendan Napier.

The Shipyard created the first chance in the opening minute when Kevin Masson turned and shot from the edge of the box but Burnside was well positioned to hold the strike. Mushet did well to palm away when under pressure from a corner and then produced a fine save from a close range shot. In the 14th minute Masson tested Burnside again when his curling free-kick had the big keeper at full stretch as he pushed the ball round the post for a corner. Mushet saved with his legs as the game ebbed and flowed and Jonathan Watson headed wide for the Strollers as the game passed the half hour mark. The Shippy had a great chance in the 34th minute when Masson burst clear of the visitors defence, however, the striker chose to bring the ball back onto his favoured left foot and though he created space to get his shot away, he dragged it a foot wide of the keepers right hand post. The Strollers took the lead in the 38th minute when the Shipyard defence failed to clear the ball and it fell kindly to David Middlemass who drove the ball into the corner of the net from around 25yards. Scott Clapperton shot over for the visitors as the half drew to a close.

Kev Masson had a frustrating afternoon as Strollers keeper kept him out

Kev Masson had a frustrating afternoon as Strollers keeper kept him out

The Shipyard took the game to the Strollers at the start of the second half as firstly Stark drove over and them Masson saw a snap shot well blocked by the legs of Burnside. On the hour mark a Masson free-kick was headed goalwards by Pete Bell and only a deflection denied the diminutive midfielder a rare headed goal. Masson was involved in almost everything the hosts were producing and his inswinging corner looked to be going in under the bar until Burnside intervened again. In the 64th minute a Scott Devaney cross was met by Stark and his guided shot looked a certain goal until Burnside threw himself to his left and pushed the ball away. It was a truly top drawer save from a quality keeper. Stark saw his header from a corner go over with ten minutes remaining. As the Shipyard pushed for an equaliser they left a few gaps at the back and Ian Ballantyne drove forward but shot wide from a good position. As the game drew to a close it was Mushet’s turn to produce a quality save when he got down low at his lefthand post to push the ball away. After what was a very decent and entertaining game it was all too much for referee Michael Addy who left without collecting his match fee, however, don’t worry Michael it’s in the post.

The Shipyard are on their travels next week as they head to Peebles to play the Rovers in the 1st Round of the King Cup. Kick Off 2.30pm.

Burntisland Shipyard: J. Mushet; G. McCann; E. Anderson; B. Couper; G. Haywood; P. Bell (B. Saunders); S. Devaney; C. Lowe; S. Stark; K. Masson; E. Fotheringham (D. Anthony).

Civil Service Strollers: S. Burnside; D. Middlemass (C. Newall); B. Milven; P. Greenhill; J. Watson; C. Milligan; D. Stewart; S. Clapperton; I. Ballantyne; J. Finnie; J. Young (M. Milligan).
Referee: M. Addy.