Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 2 Coldstream 2

Shippy see light at end of tunnel.

The Shipyard were delighted to finally get a point on the board after drawing 2-2 with Coldstream but the overriding emotion would be one of disappointment as after going in at half-time 2-0 up, another poor second half showing allowed Coldstream back in to the match and in the end the Shippy were hanging on a bit as the game drew to a conclusion. Marcus Taylor and Marc Black were still out through injury and Connor Allison was suspended after last week’s red card though there was a welcome return from Danny Roberts to add to the new signings and another couple of trialists as Chris and Craig look to build a competitive squad.

Coldstream stalwart John Crawford had the first chance of the match but headed wide from a decent position. At the other end Tommy Hall shot over when the ball broke to him at the edge of the box after a corner was partially cleared. The Shippy took the lead in the 8th minute when a long throw in from Daryl Taylor was headed home by Sean Cusick from six yards. The Streamers keeper Steven Ferguson stayed down after the goal but it was probably his pride that was hurt after being beaten in an aerial duel by the diminutive Cusick. The Shippy were the more threatening team as they forced a series of corners but Crawford was always a danger at the other end as he was involved in most of the visitors attacks. The Shipyard went two up in the 19th minute when Sean Doyle robber the Coldstream defence of the ball but saw his shot blocked, however, the ball fell to Ryan Calder and he showed great composure to slot the ball inside the post from a narrowing angle.

Sean Cusick heads opening goal.

Sean Cusick heads opening goal.

Coldstream had a chance on the half hour mark but Shippy keeper Cammy Lambie saved Kristian Dixon’s effort with his legs. At the other end a Taylor strike with the outside of his right foot was not far away from the far post, however, the big striker passed up a great opportunity to put his side three ahead in the 37th minute. After finding himself free inside the box he looked certain to score but Ferguson pulled off a great save to deny him. From the resultant corner Doyle headed narrowly over.

Once again the shipyard failed to turn up for the second half as Coldstream began to dominate proceedings and just shy of the hour mark their pressure paid off though the goal was a bit of a gift as the shipyard defence inexplicably coughed up possession and Crawford drilled the ball into the far corner to get his team back in it. The Shippy were furious in the 77th minute when Taylor put pressure on the Coldstream defender which made him miss his header and as the big man looked to get on the end of the loose ball keeper Ferguson clearly stepped out of his area to gather the ball. Referee Hanlon did not see it that way and waved play on. To rub salt into the Shippy wounds the visitors went up the park and were awarded a penalty when the eagle-eyed ref spotted tugging in the box and awarded Coldstream the spot kick which Crawford coolly slotted home. By now there only looked like being one winner but the Shippy defence held out to get their first league point on the board.

Next Saturday sees the Shippy make the long trek across the border to Berwick upon Tweed as they make their first ever visit to Tweedmouth Rangers.


Burntisland Shipyard: C. Lambie; D. Roberts; K. Ford; C. McAleavey; T. Hall; Y. Iliopoulos; R. Calder; D. Hyslop; S. Cusick (J. Anderson); D. Taylor; S. Doyle (A. Haddow).

Coldstream: S. Ferguson; R. Dixon; M. Johnston; S. Dixon; J. Inglis; K. Lee; C. Beesley; P. Hossack; J. Crawford; K. Dixon; L. Howell (E. Gray).

Referee: P. Hanlon.