Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Crossgates Primrose 2-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Shippy edged out in Fife derby.

There was very little to choose between the teams in this keenly fought Fife derby, other than that the hosts took advantage of a couple of openings that came their way, whereas the Shipyard spurned a glorious opportunity to take at least a point from the match as an over eager Reece Brown ensured Dean Anderson’s effort crossed the line, unfortunately from an offside position. Sandy Strang returned from suspension but that boost was countered by the fact that Rab Kinnaird was now banned. There was another five still missing due to work commitments and injury, however, it is hoped that two of these guys will return to training this week.

It was bitterly cold though bright overhead at Humbug Park as the game kicked off. The Shippy had a bit of pressure around the ten-minute mark as Robbie Crawford saw his shot blocked and from the resultant corner Strang headed over. Crossgates replied with a couple of good efforts with centre back Gavin Ross heading over from a corner and Scott Hynd doing likewise from a fine cross. A ball into the Crossgates box caused panic but neither Crawford or Jordan Galloway could apply the finishing touch. Anderson saw his header held as he got on the end of a Callum McAulay free-kick. McAulay played a great ball through to Jordan Galloway but his shot lacked the venom to trouble Primrose keeper Blair Penman. The Shippy had a scare just on the interval as the defence had to scramble a Hynd header off the line.

Robbie Crawford went close for the Shippy.

Crossgates took the lead in the 64th minute when some slack marking allowed Hynd to head home an innocuous free-kick floated into the box. The hosts lead was short-lived as the Shipyard equalised two minutes later with a great free-kick from McAulay, who curled a beauty beyond Penman. Shipyard keeper Ryan Adamson pulled off a fine save in the 70th minute though he needed the help of the defence to scramble the ball clear. Crossgates regained the lead on 75 minutes when the Shipyard defence failed to deal with a cross into the box allowing Darrin Aitken to turn and hook the ball beyond Adamson. The Shippy should have been level again in the 82nd minute after a corner was partially cleared. The ball was returned into the box where Anderson managed to direct the ball towards goal and in his enthusiasm to make sure Brown knocked the ball into the net from close range but sadly for the Shippy he was flagged offside. A great run into the box by Crawford resulted in a corner and the same man was desperately unlucky to see his net bound shot deflected wide as the home side held on for the win.

Crossgates Primrose: B. Penman, B. Paterson, K. Brand, G. Nutt, G. Ross, R. McDonald, D. Aitken, B. Hutchison (C. Millar), S. Hynd, L. Shaw (M. Wilkie), D. Allan (S. Lawrie). Unused Subs: B. Clark, G. Henderson, M. McKenzie, A. Watt.

Burntisland Shipyard: R. Adamson, C. Simpson, S. Glancy, R. O’Donnell, D. Anderson, S. Strang, R. Bernard, Jon. Galloway, R. Crawford, C. McAulay, Jor. Galloway (R. Brown). Unused Subs: P. Bell, M. Jarrett, A. Trialist, B. Trialist.

Referee: K. Maskell.