Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Eastvale. 5 Burntisland Shipyard. 1

Glendale Plastics League

Eastvale. 5  Burntisland Shipyard. 1

A patched up Shipyard side turned in a very poor performance at Greig Park, Windygates. Still beset by injury and unavailability Manager Whitehead had only 13 players to choose from and some of them were nowhere near fit.

On a very bumpy pitch it was the Shipyard who had the first chance  after 10 minutes when Allan headed on a free-kick but, the stretching O’Hanlon could not keep his shot down. Two minutes later a corner from the Eastvale right had to be scrambled clear for another corner. Eastvale broke the deadlock from another corner when Connolly scored with a free header. 10 minutes later Cook pulled up trying to cut out a long ball which left Douglas a free run on goal, he managed to score at the second attempt. Cook could not continue and had to be replaced by Brough. In 30 minutes the Eastvale keeper Gardner dropped a long ball and just managed to gather before it crossed the line. In 34 minutes great work on the byeline by O’Hanlon saw him pass to Johnston, who laid the ball off to Hamilton but his shot was off target. The Shipyard got back into the match when a free-kick from McCue was powerfully headed home by Myles Allan. The game came to a bizarre halt when shipyard manager Billy Whitehead thought the ball was out of play and caught the ball, however it was still at least a yard in play. Everyone did see the funny side of it though and the ref gave a drop ball. In the 43rd minute Eastvale should have increased their lead, when the Shipyard stopped, appealing for an offside that never came, 4 Eastvale players were through on goal but Chalmers managed to block the effort. On the stroke of half-time Eastvale did get another, when a free-kick was parried by Chalmers only Forrester followed in to score easily and make it 3 – 1.

A minute into the second half and the Shipyard had another let-off when Chalmers misjudged another long ball but, the Eastvale player shot narrowly wide. In 49 minutes it was Brown’s turn to misjudge  a long ball, with it slicing off his foot to Douglas who squared to Connolly and he scored his second goal. A good run by McCue set up Millar who cut inside a defender and smashed a great shot just over the bar with the keeper beaten. In 75 minutes it was 5 – 1 when the ball was headed home at the front post from another well delivered corner. 6 minutes from time the Shipyard’s Millar was sent off for a second bookable offence. To round off a bad night for the Shipyard the showers were not working properly.

Teams: Eastvale: Gardner; Kerr; Murrie; Kennedy; Winn; Thomson; Connolly; Forrester; Miller; Armit; Douglas. Subs: Laing; Coull; Allan; Westwood; Kirk.

Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; Morris; Aitken; Allan; Cook(Brough); Brown; Hamilton; Millar; Johnston; O’Hanlon; McCue. Unused Sub: Muirhead.

Referee: P. McAvinue.