Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Eyemouth United 0-6 Burntisland Shipyard

Anthony hat-trick rounds off good week for Shippy.

The Shipyard made the long journey to Warner Park buoyed by their midweek victory against Heriot Watt University as they looked to continue to climb the league table. They did not disappoint, despite struggling for almost the entire first half to breakdown the resolute Eyemouth defence, as another three points were bagged. The final scoreline of 6-0 was no less than the Shipyard deserved as they created many chances throughout the ninety minutes. Six points from two away fixtures in five days will no doubt have pleased manager Stuart Innes. Continuity is a major factor in football and the fact that Stuart had the same squad at his disposal again meant that he only had to make one change from Tuesday night. Shaun Keatings dropped to the bench with him still feeling the effects of the knock that forced him off against the students and once again Tyler McKenzie was the man who replaced him. It was another good day for Ben Anthony as he claimed a perfect hat-trick with a left foot, right foot and headed goal as he took his season’s tally into double figures.

Ben (3) and Reece bagged four of the Shipyard goals.

Unusually, for Eyemouth anyway, there was barely a breath of wind and a bright blue sky as the Shipyard got the match got underway. It took the Shipyard a while to settle into the game although they did start to exert some pressure on the Eyemouth rearguard as they forced a series of corners. From one of these corners in the 15th minute a Sandy Strang header forced Eyemouth keeper Roddy MacDougall into a fine save. A few seconds later the Shippy were shouting loudly for a penalty as Dean Hunter went down in the box, however, the referee wasn’t interested. Raymond Crichton shot straight at the keeper after playing a neat one two with Jay Bridgeford. The Shipyard then hit the woodwork twice in the space of three minutes as Hunter hit the bar with a volley at the back post following a corner and in the 27th minute Darrell Anthony hit a post after good work by his brother Ben. B. Anthony shot straight at the keeper and Reece Brown had an effort blocked from close range. The visitors finally broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute when Brown latched onto the end of a D. Anthony pass and fired the ball high into the net beyond MacDougall. Eyemouth had a chance on the stroke of half-time through Kharim Mdlasini but the striker never troubled Michael Gibb in the Shipyard goals.

The Shippy made a change at the interval with Nathan Laird coming on for Gavin Ross and it took him only ninety seconds to make an impact as he bundled home from a corner with his first touch of the ball. MacDougall saved bravely at the feet of McKenzie; however, he was beaten a minute later as B. Anthony’s left foot shot found the corner of the net after being set up by Bridgeford. Eyemouth really should have pulled a goal back in the 56th minute but somehow the ball ended up being put over the bar from close range. Bridgeford shot just wide and then Brown saw his drive parried away by MacDougall with B. Anthony firing the loose ball across the face of the goal. Brown again went close with a shot going narrowly wide. A bit of dithering in the Shippy defence led to a great opportunity for Connor Lough, however, the experienced striker was denied by a great save from substitute keeper Scott Costello. B. Anthony turned and shot from inside the six yard box but he was denied by a good block. As usual Ben was in the thick of things and he scored the Shipyard’s fourth goal when he headed home a Jordan Galloway corner. He soon made it five as he completed his hat-trick with a great team goal. The Shippy gained possession on their own goal line, passed the ball out through the midfield to D. Anthony and his pinpoint pass found brother Ben who outstripped the Eyemouth defence before smashing it passed MacDougall. The Shippy scored a sixth through substitute Galloway who tapped in at the back post after a Bridgeford strike was pushed into his path. Eyemouth almost got a consolation goal at the death when a speculative strike hit the junction of the post and bar.

The Shipyard return to Recreation Park on Saturday (5/12/20) when they welcome Stirling University EOS for a league match with the kick-off being at 1.30pm.

Eyemouth United: D. MacDougall; B. Tait; T. Fowler; G. Paterson; J. Gammie; L. Smilie; J. Condy; C. Briggs; K. Grant; C. Lough; K. Mdlasini. Subs: A. Wilson; R. Bowling; J. Vieirira; M. Sebastian; D. Thomas; D. Hendy.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb (S. Costello); M. Miller; R. Crichton (R. O’Donnell); D. Hunter; G. Ross (N. Laird); S. Strang (J. Galloway); T. McKenzie; D. Anthony; B. Anthony; R. Brown (J. Mackenzie); J. Bridgeford. Unused Sub: S. Keatings.

Referee: F. Bushell.