Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Heriot Watt University 2-0 Burntisland Shipyard

Disappointing start to league campaign.

The first league match of the season for the Shipyard ended in disappointment as they succumbed to Heriot Watt University losing 2-0 to the students at the Oriam. Despite praise from the Heriot Watt camp as to how well the Shippy played, there was more a feeling of disappointment in the performance from the visitors, particularly in the way that the goals were conceded. The damage was self-inflicted with possession given up all too easily, though both goals were clinically finished by the Uni. There were debuts for Raymond Crichton and Shaun Keatings with Scott Costello taking a place on the bench.

The Shipyard created a half chance early on from a corner, however, no-one was able to convert the loose ball. The hosts saw a shot go wide in the seventh minute, meanwhile at the other end an ambitious Keatings chip drifted well off target. Reece Brown saw one attempt saved and another go wide and sandwiched between these efforts Michael Gibb held a long-range free kick. The hosts took the lead in the 27th minute capitalising on a mistake and when a cross was whipped in from the right-hand side Chris Donnelly was on hand to head the ball home. Sandy Strang headed a decent opportunity off target and Brown saw his shot blocked following a fine Robbie Crawford run.

The Shipyard were forced into a change at half-time with Ben Anthony unable to continue and he was replaced by Matty Miller. Heriot Watt almost doubled their lead within a minute of the restart as they broke quickly, however, the Shipyard were relieved to see Donnelly’s strike hit the post and bounce clear. Crichton, who had been pushed further forward gathered the ball at the edge of the box but his shot on the turn lacked the direction to trouble Callum Reid in the Uni goals. The Shippy fell two behind in the 53rd minute with possession again given up all to easily and Arran Singh made no mistake with his well struck shot. The Shipyard almost pulled one back on the hour mark but unfortunately Darrell Anthony’s drive came back off the post and into the grateful keeper’s hands. The Shipyard were forced into a series of changes as the second half progressed with Strang, D. Anthony and Crawford all limping off. A Brown headed attempt was off target and as the clock wound down the Shippy never looked like getting back into the match far less take something from it. Next Saturday the Shipyard welcome Newburgh Juniors to Recreation Park, for what at the moment will be a closed doors match. Kick-off is at 2.30pm.

Heriot Watt University: C. Reid; J. Hogg; T. Teviotdale; L. Morton; J. Wishart; N. Kelly; J. Barker; R. Cairns; C. Donnelly; G. MacDonald; C. Stewart. Subs: A. McMahon; C. Muttitt; A. McCreadie; J. Kennedy; A. Singh; J. Thomson; C. Smith.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb; R. Crichton; D. Allan; G. Ross; I. Millar; S. Strang (J. Galloway); D. Anthony (R. O’Donnell); S. Keatings; R. Brown; R. Crawford (D. Hunter); B. Anthony (M. Miller). Unused Sub: S. Costello.

Referee: E. Walls.