Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Lochgelly Albert 3-3 Burntisland Shipyard

Missed opportunity in foggy Lochgelly.

Once again, the Shipyard dropped points in a game that was there to be won. Make no mistake this was two points thrown away as defensive lapses and missed chances proved very costly. Any hopes of climbing the league table will quickly disappear if goals keep being gifted in this fashion. Both teams were severely depleted and the long Shipyard injury list shows no sign of diminishing. Reece Brown returned from suspension but Sam Glancy, Ross Lennie, Iain Millar and Dale Allan were still side-lined.

Shipyard equalise through Dean Hunter (hidden).

Thick fog was swirling around Gardiners Park with visibility poor as the match kick off. The Shipyard created a chance in the first few seconds when the Anthony brothers Ben and Darrell combined to set up Shaun Keatings, however, the strike was marginally off target. With two minutes on the clock the Shippy fell behind when a long ball floated to the back-post area was not dealt with and the Lochgelly player had all the time in the world to fire the ball home. This setback did not deter the Shippy and they were soon level when a Jay Bridgeford free kick was bundled over the line by Dean Hunter. The Shipyard took the lead in the 11th minute with a well worked goal. D. Anthony controlled a ball into the box with his chest laying it perfectly into the path of his brother Ben who gleefully smashed the ball home. The goals kept coming and the hosts were level in the 15th minute when the Shippy failed to deal with a corner with no one being able to put there foot through the ball to clear the danger and an Albert player knocked the ball in from close range. Tyler McKenzie fired two attempts just over and Lochgelly keeper Shaun Hunter saved twice with his legs. The Shipyard had by far the better of the chances in the first half but could not get their noses in front.

Ben Anthony puts the Shippy 2-1 ahead.

The keeper saved well again to deny Keatings when he got on the end of a B. Anthony cross. Substitute Raymond Crichton was next to go close before the Shipyard’s pressure paid off in the 57th minute. D. Anthony saw his shot saved and once again it was B. Anthony who was on hand to fire the ball home after the ball rebounded straight to him. The Shipyard then enjoyed a good spell of possession and went close through Brown, Keatings and Gavin Ross. Big defender Ross was then involved at the other end when he was penalised for hand ball in the box, though it was hard to tell through the fog exactly what happened. The penalty was confidently driven beyond Michael Gibb to tie the scores once again. As the game moved beyond the ninety-minute mark there was still time for youngster McKenzie to receive an unbelievably harsh second yellow card.

It’s another Fife derby on Saturday (14/11/2020) as we welcome Lochore Welfare to Recreation Park for a Central Taxis First Division League match. Kick-off is 2.00pm.

Lochgelly Albert: S. Hunter; C. Sneddon; J. Meldrum; R. Gallacher; L. Kerwin; G. Colquhoun; L. Kirby; D. Boyle; S. Stark; C. Bennell; N. Feeley. Subs: R. Cowie; D. Clegg; L. Bell; S. Keenan.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb; M. Miller; R. O’Donnell; D. Hunter (R. Crichton); G. Ross; S. Strang; S. Keatings; T. McKenzie; B. Anthony; D. Anthony (R. Brown); J. Bridgeford. Unused Subs: S. Costello & J. Galloway.

Referee: B. Reid.